Need help with Advapi32.dll

Hi all,

I'm trying to repair an old labview program written long ago by someone long gone.... The program was moved from an old computer running W2K, to a new computer running XP, and now it doesn't work. I've traced the problem to the attached VI. The Call Library Function Node in the first while loop outputs a value which causes the and gate feeding the select to output false. This causes the select to output a value defined in the case structure. Bottom line the default data sting input to the VI is a path to a configuration file the path is held in a global variable feeding the vi... when the vi runs it changes the drive from C:\filepath where I set it (because that is where the configuration file is) the VI changes the path to E:\filepath. and then puts that is the global. There is no E drive so the file can't be opened.

I modified the program putting a constant True into the select and the rest of the program operaties fine, but I'm hesitant to leave it that way not understanding what this vi is doing.

Any ideas out there??? I would really appreciate any help. Besides the added benefit of being able to learn something.....

Thanks in advance....

QUOTE (rharmon@sandia.gov @ Jul 1 2008, 08:05 PM)

Hi all,

I'm trying to repair an old labview program written long ago by someone long gone.... The program was moved from an old computer running W2K, to a new computer running XP, and now it doesn't work. I've traced the problem to the attached VI. The Call Library Function Node in the first while loop outputs a value which causes the and gate feeding the select to output false. This causes the select to output a value defined in the case structure. Bottom line the default data sting input to the VI is a path to a configuration file the path is held in a global variable feeding the vi... when the vi runs it changes the drive from C:\filepath where I set it (because that is where the configuration file is) the VI changes the path to E:\filepath. and then puts that is the global. There is no E drive so the file can't be opened.

I modified the program putting a constant True into the select and the rest of the program operaties fine, but I'm hesitant to leave it that way not understanding what this vi is doing.

Any ideas out there??? I would really appreciate any help. Besides the added benefit of being able to learn something.....

Thanks in advance....

Out of the box, but supports moving on quickly:

You could buy an E:drive for $60 and be done with it.

QUOTE (mross @ Jul 2 2008, 12:43 PM)

You could buy an E:drive for $60 and be done with it.

an even more cheaper solution would be to map your C: drive (as if it was a network drive) to E:

Good luck

QUOTE (tnt @ Jul 2 2008, 07:44 AM)

an even more cheaper solution would be to map your C: drive (as if it was a network drive) to E:

Good luck

Hey, I never thought of that, but it does work. A standalone computer...I guess you could set up a network on it even if no others are connected...

QUOTE (rharmon@sandia.gov @ Jul 1 2008, 07:05 PM)

Hi all,

Thanks in advance....

This is a standard LabVIEW VI and I don't think there is anything wrong with it itself. It's probably more in what is passed to it in terms of parameters.

This VI reads the registry from a place that is defined by an earlier VI in the chain. It's C:/.... input is only a default input to be used if the inidcated key value could not be found in the registry. Obviously it can be found and for whatever reasons is set to E:/... Who did initilize that key, when and where with that value we can't tell you. But I would assume there should be a menu entry, configuration tool or something for this application that lets you configure that value.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ Jul 2 2008, 02:16 PM)

This is a standard LabVIEW VI and I don't think there is anything wrong with it itself. It's probably more in what is passed to it in terms of parameters.

This VI reads the registry from a place that is defined by an earlier VI in the chain. It's C:/.... input is only a default input to be used if the inidcated key value could not be found in the registry. Obviously it can be found and for whatever reasons is set to E:/... Who did initilize that key, when and where with that value we can't tell you. But I would assume there should be a menu entry, configuration tool or something for this application that lets you configure that value.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Thank you, this gives me some ideas as to where to look... the program is huge... and sort of a mess.... so thanks again.....