Property saver

Actually it was your code Ton... well at least what I thought the XControl inheritance tool did.(i was wrong)

BUT! it lead me to a great realization that I have created this tool from.

By dynamically scripting a class specifier on a BD like you do in your code, I can extract all properties from any control (almost... still a few hurdles) and then copy those same properties to another control or save them all off to state data, which was what I thought your tool actually did.

The problem that this new tool can solve is say you want a graph on an XControl \

but don't want to have to set the properties every time you open the VI w/ the XControl on it,

rather you would like to have the state of the graph be saved w/ the instance of the control on a Front panel just the way a normal graph is.

Now (soon) we'll be able to just save the control property information along with the control so that it can be put back to the state that it was previously (think, x axis scale and cursors, etc)

SIDE NOTE FOR THE CONFUSED:

If you have something on an XControl that you can change the properties of at runtime (graph, guage, etc) those properties will not be retained even if you save the owning VI after you've made the modifications.

THIS REALLY SUCKS if you've made the XControl to be reused in a variety of places.

This tooll will hopefully solve that problem.

The property saver was also something that I had recalled.

But it looks as though this discussion might need to side step over into the Rusty Nails category.

The reason is because although the property saver appears to catch most things, it's still a very constant based list of properties entered in and managed by hand (assumption, but code looks like it)

And what I'm looking to create is almost the same thing but automatically extract all properties programatically.

It is very easy to get the first level of all property names, but when there are elements that have their own list of properties it gets more complicated.

Through scripting I can get a full list of properties for each level of the hierarchy(what I just mentioned)

but the problem is that I can not figure how to extract all properties just using 1 property node. (instead of having multiple cascaded property nodes on a diagram that is interacted w/ through scripting

2008-07-31_0938.png

QUOTE (Norm Kirchner @ Jul 31 2008, 04:44 PM)

Through scripting I can get a full list of properties for each level of the hierarchy(what I just mentioned)

but the problem is that I can not figure how to extract all properties just using 1 property node. (instead of having multiple cascaded property nodes on a diagram that is interacted w/ through scripting

I don't think you can create a single property with multiple levels with scripting (at least I have failed).

Endevo has failed as well for (un)bundle a cluster in their GOOP templates. There is some very special scripting involved in that case.

Ton