Unflatten from XML

LAVA 1.0 Content

Hmmm... I haven't looked in detail at the issue you are facing, but I did encounter some issues with using LabVIEW classes with the Flatten to XML and Unflatten from XML functions. The CAR for this is CAR# 124834. NI traced that problem, though, to the use of Enums in the class data, not just to having a class within a class (which did work in some simple tests I did). It seems you are encountering a different problem, though.

By the way, I think this is the ability to translate LabVIEW class data to XML is a potentially an extremely powerful tool! For instance, we are interested in this as a way to share data with a Java application, and as a way to send data to implement the OOP command pattern (there are other ways to do this, of course).

Paul

It seems that Flatten/Unflatten to String works fine with your example. Download File:post-3266-1221768337.vi

I'm not sure if you actually needed to flatten to the LabVIEW XML format, but this is a possible workaround if all you needed to do is flatten the class data pass it to another process.

Thanks for this example! I was just working on a project that will benefit from flattened class data.

• 3 months later...

QUOTE (Paul_at_Lowell @ Sep 18 2008, 10:42 AM)

Hmmm... I haven't looked in detail at the issue you are facing, but I did encounter some issues with using LabVIEW classes with the Flatten to XML and Unflatten from XML functions. The CAR for this is CAR# 124834. NI traced that problem, though, to the use of Enums in the class data, not just to having a class within a class (which did work in some simple tests I did). It seems you are encountering a different problem, though.

By the way, I think this is the ability to translate LabVIEW class data to XML is a potentially an extremely powerful tool! For instance, we are interested in this as a way to share data with a Java application, and as a way to send data to implement the OOP command pattern (there are other ways to do this, of course).

Paul

Paul - do you recall if this produces error 1527 - "LabVIEW: Attempted to read flattened data of a LabVIEW class that is not currently loaded into LabVIEW."? I'm getting this error trying to convert out of an XML string that was just saved to disk. I certainly have the class loaded in memory - there's an object sitting right next to the unflatten from XML (in fact its wired into that function). I don't think this XML is quite ready for use...

Mike