Multiple RT Applications on cRIO

webbguy

QUOTE (webbguy @ Oct 3 2008, 08:09 AM)

Does anybody know if you can have two or more rt applications running on a compact rio. Possibly only having one run at a time and have the 1st be able to call the 2nd one to start?

You can only have one RT Startup EXE, which is called when the cRIO system boots up. But you can call additional VIs from the EXE dynamically when it is running. So you can have two or more VIs running on a cRIO at the same time. Once a second VI is started, the main VI or RT EXE can stop running and the second VI will continue to run on its own. The second VI of course can start additional VIs dynamically as well.

To do this, become familiar with how to call VIs dynamically using the VI server functions. When building the RT EXE you will need to explicitly include any VIs that you call dynamically in the Build Specification for the RT EXE.

QUOTE (LV_FPGA_SE @ Oct 4 2008, 02:41 AM)

You can only have one RT Startup EXE, which is called when the cRIO system boots up. But you can call additional VIs from the EXE dynamically when it is running. So you can have two or more VIs running on a cRIO at the same time. Once a second VI is started, the main VI or RT EXE can stop running and the second VI will continue to run on its own. The second VI of course can start additional VIs dynamically as well.

To do this, become familiar with how to call VIs dynamically using the VI server functions. When building the RT EXE you will need to explicitly include any VIs that you call dynamically in the Build Specification for the RT EXE.

Hi LV_FPGA_SE

Is there any caveats to running dynamically called VIs on LV RTOS.

My main question is with respect to memory allocations.

I am worried that dynamically called vis could chew up contiguous memory for large arrays.

At present I initialise my arrays from bootup and am very cautious in not dynamically increasing their size or making copies.

Especially when the application has to run for days/weeks/year

I have not have the need to use dynamic VIs on RTOS - is there a benefit to using them?

The main one I could see if it freed up resources - but does this actually happen?

Cheers

Jon