Simple(maybe stupid) Question

Seraph

Hello, everyone, I'm a novice for both Labview and this forum, I've spent several days to browse the posts here, and got a lot valuable information and knowledge about Labview, but I still have a question: As a "G" language, can the VIs be compiled into an .exe file so that it is able to run on a computer on which doesn't install Labview? Thanks a lot!

QUOTE (Seraph @ Oct 20 2008, 12:57 AM)

Hello, everyone, I'm a novice for both LabVIEW and this forum, I've spent several days to browse the posts here, and got a lot valuable information and knowledge about LabVIEW, but I still have a question: As a "G" language, can the VIs be compiled into an .exe file so that it is able to run on a computer on which doesn't install LabVIEW? Thanks a lot!

Yes, look in the help for "Application Builder". This is available with the professional version or as an add-on toolkit for full and base versions.

Note that like many non-MS development tools... you'll also need to install the runtime engine called "LabVIEW RTE" on the target PC prior to executing your stand alone application.

~Dan

Yes and no, not be confusing. Using the Application Builder software (included in the professional version of LabVIEW) you can build your program into an installer, this installer can be installed on any Windows based operating system, and then your program can run from the start menu, which the installer makes a shortcut for. The installer that you build will be alot larger than you expect it should be. For a hello world program it may be 20MB or so. This is because in the installer is also the LabVIEW run-time engine which is needed to run any LabVIEW application.

With the Application Builder software you can build just an application, which will result in a few hundred kilobytes in file size for a .exe file of hello world. BUT this exe file can only run on a computer which has that version of LabVIEW's run-time engine installed. You can download all the different versions of the LabVIEW run time engine for free from NI's website.

If you really want to get tricky, there is a way for smaller exe files (the ones that aren't installers) to run on a computer without the run-time engine installed, but it only works for LabVIEW 7.1 and older, and you can find information about that here.

http://forums.lavag.org/Runtimeless-Instal...tions-t122.html