ActiveX will not load on some Vista machines. nicont.dll problems

Hi all,

I have a problem with ActiveX and Labview on some vista machines. When I run a program with an activeX controller the text "Control not loaded" will show in the ActiveX box. It does not matter which ActiveX I try to use. The result is always the same.

The event logger in vista it says that there is a problem with nicont.dll

Ouput from event logger:

"Activation context generation failed for "C:\PROGRA~1\NATION~1\Shared\nicont.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

The weird thing is that it works on 4 different notepads were 3 are running Vista Business and 1 are running Vista Ultimate. But when I try to install my program with the installer I made on stationary workstations running windows vista home premium and Vista Ultimate I get this problem. I suspect that the nicont.dll was not properly registred in the installation process. But it seems like I am not able to register the nicont.dll manually, even when I run it as administrator from the Administrator account.

If anyone has "been there and done that" I would be very happy if they can tell me how to solve this!

Best regards Whaler

QUOTE (Whaler @ Oct 24 2008, 03:36 AM)

When I run a program with an activeX controller the text "Control not loaded" will show in the ActiveX box. It does not matter which ActiveX I try to use. The result is always the same.

I've had a similar issue before (a long time ago), so I don't think that this is specific to vista. I don't remember what the issue was specifically, but I recall that a reinstall of the RTE fixed it.

QUOTE (crelf @ Oct 24 2008, 03:40 PM)

I've had a similar issue before (a long time ago), so I don't think that this is specific to vista. I don't remember what the issue was specifically, but I recall that a reinstall of the RTE fixed it.

Thank you for the input Crelf. After a two days we finaly found the solution, and as you say it is not specfic to vista. The problem was that nicont.dll needed another .dll to function. When we installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) (vcredist_x86.exe) this .dll was installed and every thing finally worked!

Our problem was that the stationary workstations we tried to install my labview installer on had fresh installations of vista and were not used before. The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package is used by a lot of other programs and will be installed when you install joost and other programs. Thats why all the old notebooks worked and the new vista installations did not.

:rolleyes: Whaler

QUOTE (Whaler @ Oct 24 2008, 11:13 AM)

Our problem was that the stationary workstations we tried to install my labview installer on had fresh installations of vista and were not used before. The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package is used by a lot of other programs and will be installed when you install joost and other programs. Thats why all the old notebooks worked and the new vista installations did not.

What a pain in the arse!

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (crelf @ Oct 24 2008, 08:08 PM)

What a pain in the arse!

It's what you get when using the newest MS compiler tools. They create DLLs and executable's that explicitly link to the newest and greatest MS C runtime libraries. Using older MS compiler versions has the benefit that all current MS OSes come with those runtime libraries already installed but I guess Vista wasn't compiled with MS VC 2008 and therefore does not come with its runtime libraries.

Ok I admit, the LabVIEW RTE installer should have installed the redistributables of whatever runtime libraries for the compiler that was used for the delivered LabVIEW components :) .

I prefer to compile my tools with Visual C 6.0 and so am sure they will work even on a Windows 98 or NT 4 out of box installation :D . It's really great to just have a VI library and a DLL and not have to worry about the correct runtime libraries being installed. Also makes life a lot easier if you don't have to tell someone to first install .Net 2.1.2.3.5 or higher before attempting to run your software.

Rolf Kalbermatter