Front Panel display of SubVI

saif

Hi

I am a new user of LabView. I have some problem in working out with subVI.

I have created a subVI.Is there any way that when i put the subvi on the block diagram then on the front panel i can show an icon or any image representation of that subVI. So that the user may know that subVI is placed on the block diagram just by looking at the image on the front panel.

QUOTE (saif @ Nov 11 2008, 01:18 PM)

Hi

I have created a subVI.Is there any way that when i put the subvi on the block diagram then on the front panel i can show an icon or any image representation of that subVI. So that the user may know that subVI is placed on the block diagram just by looking at the image on the front panel.

Can you explain why you'd want to do that? It's not that it's impossible, but I don't understand why anyone would want this... especially if he's new to LabVIEW.

QUOTE (saif @ Nov 11 2008, 12:18 PM)

Hi

Don't think so*. . But even if you could, I wouldn't, this will just clutter your FP.

You can see the VI heirarchy select View->VI Hierarchy and View->Browse Relationships->This VI's subVIs.

*Actually you could place a picture control on the FP and write a function to populate it with subVIs icons. If I get bored later I'll try this.

QUOTE (normandinf @ Nov 11 2008, 07:32 PM)

Can you explain why you'd want to do that? It's not that it's impossible, but I don't understand why anyone would want this... especially if he's new to LabVIEW.

I am working on term project in LabView.

I have different components(images files bmp,wmf ) to show on the front panel. when a user put subvi, then on the front panel we can get the image of the subVI.

Or the other way round, if it is possible to put an image on front panel and then it will put subVi on the block diagram

QUOTE (Dan DeFriese @ Nov 11 2008, 02:01 PM)

It still leaves the question open: Why would a new LV user tackle this kind of problem? It's not the kind of work that a teacher would ask for as part of a normal LV learning process, so I'm wondering if Saif really wants this or maybe he/she wants to do something else? I think the "VI hierarchy" might have been the real answer to the question asked... Or maybe "Display a subVi's front panel in a SubPanel?" would have been such an assignment.

Anyway, I would not have proposed this solution if I thought it was a real homework question... :nono:

LATE ADDITION (EDIT):

QUOTE (saif @ Nov 11 2008, 02:15 PM)

Or the other way round, if it is possible to put an image on front panel and then it will put subVi on the block diagram

That's what Palettes are for...

Otherwise, you'll need to dynamically call subVI's and use scripting. I don't think you want to go there, yet.

Homework???

I have different components(images files bmp,wmf ) to show on the front panel. when a user put subvi, then on the front panel we can get the image of the subVI.

See image code up there...