Convert PDF to xls

Lorenzo

I would like to convert automatically a pdf file in a excel file. It exist different software which can convert this type of file like Scansoft PDF Converter but I would like than this conversion does with labview automatically without any intervention of the operator.

I think it's possible to do that in using ActiveX control in labview application but I don't know how I can do that. I just beggin to program with labview and I hope that someone may help me.

Thanks.

This isn't a terribly simple process, especially considering LabVIEW has no native support for PDF files. I found an ActiveX-based example on the NI website (http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-2163) but it doesn't seem to work in my brief test (I get an ActiveX automation error).

You might be better off trying to find an external program you can interface with, though that's generally considered a dirty practice.

I have a feeling you're ultimately have to going to a lot of OCR.

You can open a PDF file from LabVIEW (at least starting in 8.2, that's the first time I used it) using the "Open Acrobat Document.vi" in \vi.lib\Platform\browser.llb\. Look at that for an example of how to use DDE (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4531) to communicate with external applications. You might be able to do something similar calling third party document conversion tools.

Mark

QUOTE (Lorenzo @ Dec 4 2008, 05:24 AM)

I would like to convert automatically a pdf file in a excel file. It exist different software which can convert this type of file like Scansoft PDF Converter but I would like than this conversion does with labview automatically without any intervention of the operator.

I think it's possible to do that in using ActiveX control in labview application but I don't know how I can do that. I just beggin to program with labview and I hope that someone may help me.

Thanks.

ActiveX might work provided you find the right application but it is really overkill for that. Try to find a tool that provides a command line program and just call that using System Exec.

Don't expect LabVIEW to do it for you. PDF is not a format LabVIEW is ever going to support natively. To complicated, in fact proprietary, and an ever moving target with every new release of Acrobat adding yet another 20 nifty feaatures to it.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Thanks for all your answers !

I used a different way to convert my pdf file. With PDF converter, we can convert all pdf files in word, excel,... and we can use the DOS command to control the software.

So, I used the System exec.vi in labview to control the software and to generate my excel file with a pdf file.