How to delete a whole project?

Hi,

I've been reading the very helpful "Developing LabVIEW Plug and Play Instrument Drivers" tutorial at zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3271. About half way through, it has a step-by-step section on "Using the Instrument Driver Wizard". I played along as I read this section and ended up creating a skeleton instrument driver Project at \Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW8.0\instr.lib\Blah123 and its subdirectories.

I'd like to eventually (like right after I finish the tutorial) delete this bogus Project. I've looked for a way to delete a whole project and so far, I can't find out how to do this using LabVIEW. So my questions are:

1. Is there a "conventional" way to use LabVIEW to delete a whole project?

2. If not, can I just delete the ...\Blah123 subdirectory in Windows Explorer? Or will there be dangling references to this project stored eleswhere in LabVIEW?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lenny Wintfeld

I never used the wizard, so I can't say for sure, but I doubt there should a problem with deleting that folder.

There might be a menu file, but VIs in the instr.lib folder go into the palettes automatically, so I'm assuming there isn't a separate menu file created for the project.

The most obvious issue would be if you call VIs in that folder, but I'm assuming that you're not.

One last thing is that LabVIEW sometimes locks a folder and prevents you from deleting it until you exit LabVIEW. I think this has to do with LabVIEW setting the current directory for the process, which probably prevents Windows from deleting it, but that's a corner case.

QUOTE (lenny wintfeld @ Dec 29 2008, 11:48 AM)

2. If not, can I just delete the ...\Blah123 subdirectory in Windows Explorer? Or will there be dangling references to this project stored eleswhere in LabVIEW?

There will be a reference to the project in the 'Recently Used' list, but otherwise no references exist to the project.

Here's another way to get rid of the projecrt. >> :throwpc:

Thanks for your replies! Just to be cautious I moved the ...\Blah123 directory to the desktop instead of deleting it. Blah123.vi does show up on the recent files list of the Getting Started window and it also shows up in Functions Palette -> Instrument I/O -> Instr Drivers. But after Labview is completely shut down and restarted, it disappears from both.

I shoulda tried it out on my own. Duh!

BTW LV_FPGA_SE's second method seems much more elegant. I have not seen it anywhere in Labview 8.0, though :-)

-Lenny Wintfeld