Detroit Wildlife

Thanks for posting that Mike - the cinematography is very well done. I assume from the subtitles that it's one of the many short films made in Detroit by someone from France - there's a huge arts exchange program between Detroit and Paris - from filmmakers, painters, electronic musicians (especially arond the electronic music festival we have each year - the largest in the world). Detroit is certainly a city of different faces, and I think each of them is as intruiging as the next. I, for one, quite like the edginess of the upper west side (that's where most of the video was shot), and the starkness of the stunning 1920s architecture downtown. There's nothing like heading out to a gritty jazz club downtown - the music matches the city: it's real and, in it's own way, beautiful. Also, the urban farming movement is a very real one - we've got the room and the want, so a lot of people are claiming abandoned lots next to their houses and seriously farming them (we call it "blotting" - combining lots to make blocks :) )

PS: the filmmaker must have gooten up pretty early to get the shots with the streets empty :)

PSS: I certainly don't feel like I need to defend Detroit - it is what it is and I love it, so I make no apologies for that. I think you really need to visit it to truly appreciate it. Sure, there are rough parts, but that makes Detroit Detroit :) That said, like any city, Detroit's not all like one 27 minute film video shows.

Ya, my point of posting this video is not to put down the city or for any negative response. I hang out in interesting video circles on the web due to my interest in video blogging, and this video popped up in our discussions. It's a great example of creating a desired mood and feeling. I know there are a lot of LAVA members from Michigan so I figured you might want to see it.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Jan 27 2009, 02:10 PM)

Ya, my point of posting this video is not to put down the city or for any negative response. I hang out in interesting video circles on the web due to my interest in video blogging, and this video popped up in our discussions. It's a great example of creating a desired mood and feeling. I know there are a lot of LAVA members from Michigan so I figured you might want to see it.

Oh - I totally agree - thanks again for posting it.