Help with datasocket

Hi everybody,

I have a program that asks the user for input and then the input is converted to xml format. I was wondering, because I have to send the saved xml file to a specific web address, does the other computer need to have LabVIEW on it or not. Basically the program takes information about an assembly line, for example parts produced, hits on tools and others, right now that data is entered in by hand and processed by the company that handels our servers. But none the less all I wanted to know is if the other computer is required to have LabVIEW or not.

Thank you

QUOTE (LVBeginner @ Feb 23 2009, 09:03 AM)

I have a program that asks the user for input and then the input is converted to xml format. I was wondering, because I have to send the saved xml file to a specific web address, does the other computer need to have LabVIEW on it or not. Basically the program takes information about an assembly line, for example parts produced, hits on tools and others, right now that data is entered in by hand and processed by the company that handels our servers. But none the less all I wanted to know is if the other computer is required to have LabVIEW or not.

Well no and yes.

XML is just text, so there's nothing to stop you from writing a program in any language and running it on the machine that is receiving the data.

However if your using the LabVIEW schema, which was written for NI's convenience more than for yours, then writing that program gets a lot easier if you are using LabVIEW on both ends.

QUOTE (jdunham @ Feb 23 2009, 07:28 PM)

Well no and yes.

XML is just text, so there's nothing to stop you from writing a program in any language and running it on the machine that is receiving the data.

However if your using the LabVIEW schema, which was written for NI's convenience more than for yours, then writing that program gets a lot easier if you are using LabVIEW on both ends.

I forgot to tell you sorry...I'm using a schema that is provided by the off site company that handles our servers. It is way more understandable than what you would get from just the flatten to xml function. So would that mean that they don't need to have LabVIEW?

Thanks for the quick reply

QUOTE (LVBeginner @ Feb 23 2009, 02:06 PM)

I forgot to tell you sorry...I'm using a schema that is provided by the off site company that handles our servers. It is way more understandable than what you would get from just the flatten to xml function. So would that mean that they don't need to have LabVIEW?

Thanks for the quick reply

In this case you will have to roll your own XML code in LabVIEW for creating/formatting the XML you want to send. It really isn't that difficult since XML is fairly straight forward. With respect to the communication itself the receiver of your data does not need to be written in LabVIEW. You do need to know the port your server will be listening on and any application specific data or messaging that occurs between the server and its clients. If you do goes this route you will be working with the TCP or UDP LabVIEW primatives and not using native LabVIEW data sockets used by shared variables.