binding shared variables, error 1950678985

gerb27

hi guys and girls,

just started to use labview 8.6 to create a project for college(student version). idea was to create a vi to simulate the inputs and thats gone ok. so far have

project done, library set up, periodic i/o server and vi deployed, vi is running and variables can be seen in the distributed system manager, when trying to "create bound variables" in the client library i can add all my variables in the window then ok and seems to be running fine until i get the error. have searched high and low and i know it is referring to the variable names including special characters. but i have checked all the names, renamed them and tried again and again. it will keep adding a different ammount of the 24 shared variables.

i would be very grateful for any ideas. at the end of my nerves.

i have a trial version of the DSC module and a student version of 8.6, could this be the issue?

recieved error....

Error -1950678985 occured at Property Node (arg 1) in NI_Variable.lvlib: SetRawCluster.vi->MVE Add Variables.vi->MVE Create Bound Variables.vi->MVE Create Bound Variables.vi.ProxyCaller

from the NI help

Error -1950678985 occurred at an unidentified location

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: Invalid variable name. The name of a variable cannot start with a single quote (') or contain a backslash, forward slash, or any of the following backslash '\' codes: \r \n \t \b \s.

Just to check to see if it might be the student version or communication error, you might want to make a very small program that just reads and writes a few variables and see if you get the error that way. If this works fine, then I would start looking at the code really hard.

QUOTE (gerb27 @ Apr 28 2009, 11:30 AM)

hi guys and girls,

just started to use labview 8.6 to create a project for college(student version). idea was to create a vi to simulate the inputs and thats gone ok. so far have

project done, library set up, periodic i/o server and vi deployed, vi is running and variables can be seen in the distributed system manager, when trying to "create bound variables" in the client library i can add all my variables in the window then ok and seems to be running fine until i get the error. have searched high and low and i know it is referring to the variable names including special characters. but i have checked all the names, renamed them and tried again and again. it will keep adding a different ammount of the 24 shared variables.

i would be very grateful for any ideas. at the end of my nerves.

i have a trial version of the DSC module and a student version of 8.6, could this be the issue?

recieved error....

Error -1950678985 occured at Property Node (arg 1) in NI_Variable.lvlib: SetRawCluster.vi->MVE Add Variables.vi->MVE Create Bound Variables.vi->MVE Create Bound Variables.vi.ProxyCaller

I saw some interesting behavior on my sample shared variable project - if I right click on my client lvlib and select New->Variable, as soon as I start to modify the variable name I get the warning from the error message

LabVIEW: Invalid variable name. The name of a variable cannot start with a single quote (') or contain a backslash, forward slash, or any of the following backslash '\' codes: \r \n \t \b \s.

But, I can then add a space and something else (Like Variable 1) and the editor window is happy - but this as slash codes display is Variable\s1 so it now contains an illegal character (the \s) but the editor window doesn't complain any more. This doesn't really make sense - so I suspect that maybe the editor is allowing illegal values - make sure you don't have anything in your variable names but letters and maybe underscores and numerals - no spaces, carriage returns (I noticed an <Enter> from the keyboard will close the editor dialog when the focus is in the Name control - did it leave a CR?), tabs, linefeeds, or backspaces.

Mark

hi lads,

think i found three issues either one could be the cause.

1. i found one of the labels was fully showing on the back block but missing 4 letters in the front panel.( don't ask me) tried renaming it a few times and still persisted. so just put in 3 letter word.

2. by placing cursor over and back across each label(front and back) and found one label with a space on the end.

3. just for the hell of it i removed all numbers and left words only. replaced numbers with a,b,c etc

re-saved and repeated project and bang all 27 variables available in editor. thanks very much for your help i really appreciate it.

might be back again knowing my luck.

:) ger