Messaging Frameworks

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has any of the missing LVx posts that include the vi's and basic examples of its use.

I am trying to put together a LVUG presentation on the general topic of messaging frameworks and would like to

include LVx as well as some of the other interesting methods such as active vi's, event bus, etc.

Thanks

I have this folder on my PC. No idea if it works, but I think it's what you want.

It does work although I think it deserves a better example. This was Norm Kirchner's OO implementation. My original implementation (circa 2004/2005, ~LabVIEW 7.x) was not OO as native LVOOP did not exist in LabVIEW at the time and I have never used Endevo GOOP. I think it might be better to start with a non-OO example and then work up to OO as appropriate. I'll see if I can dig one up or put a simple one together.

Mike,

Norm and I were going to put a similar presentation together for NI Week one year, but it never made it off the ground. I'd be happy to collaborate on part of it with you. Just send me a PM if interested.

-Scott

It does work although I think it deserves a better example. This was Norm Kirchner's OO implementation. My original implementation (circa 2004/2005, ~LabVIEW 7.x) was not OO as native LVOOP did not exist in LabVIEW at the time and I have never used Endevo GOOP. I think it might be better to start with a non-OO example and then work up to OO as appropriate. I'll see if I can dig one up or put a simple one together.

Mike,

Norm and I were going to put a similar presentation together for NI Week one year, but it never made it off the ground. I'd be happy to collaborate on part of it with you. Just send me a PM if interested.

-Scott

I've been working on this and made improvements

and yup... it definitely needs a better getting started example than whatever I have released previously.

But luckily I have worked on it w/ ppl who haven't seen it before enough to finally put together some good getting started docs.

Although the non-OO implementation is where this idea got it's roots at, I'm not sure if I would ever go back to that or recommend starting from that.

I've weighed the pros against the cons in terms of needed understanding and difference in paradigm, but over the years that I've worked with/on it, all those minor improvements I've made would not have been easy and/or possible to include in anything that had already used it.

In other words, you can start out w/out OO, but the minute you want to add some capability, fix a bug or get creative w/ your design.... you'll wish you hadn't made that tradeoff.

Editors Commend: The LVx concept is definitely Scott's design (and is a work of genius! :worshippy: ) . I just took it an ran w/ it (some would say over the edge). But if you ever look into the guts of LVSpeak, every bit of interprocess messaging and even intraprocess messaging is done with LVx-OO and boy am I glad I did. I'll do what I can to sacrifice some sleep to get a long long long overdue package of this out.

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has any of the missing LVx posts that include the vi's and basic examples of its use.

I am trying to put together a LVUG presentation on the general topic of messaging frameworks and would like to

include LVx as well as some of the other interesting methods such as active vi's, event bus, etc.

Thanks

Don't forget the 'message pump' as well.

Never did get to fully appreciate the capabilities of that but always felt that it was a strong contender to LVx although different in a couple key ways.

Mike,

Here's the non-OO implementation.

Norm,

I was not trying to imply that the OO design should not be used going forward in any substantial project. I was making the point that to understand the concept, especially for a LVUG presentation as Mike is doing, I think it is easier to start from a non-OO base, especially when you have limited time.

I agree that once you get the concept, moving to the OO approach should be the goal.

and is a work of genius! worshippy.gif

I don't know 'bout genius , but it was fun. Thanks for the props!

-Scott

LVx Example.zip

Don't forget the 'message pump' as well.

Never did get to fully appreciate the capabilities of that but always felt that it was a strong contender to LVx although different in a couple key ways.

Heh, now I feel a little guilty for not updating that thread in nearly a year. It's practically lost in the LAVA 1.0 archive. Attached is an up to date version of the framework. As of now, there are no external dependencies, and that weird bug (if you remember) has been resolved as of LabVIEW 2009.

I've been wanting to overhaul it now that DVRs are around, but I haven't had the time to play with them enough to feel confident in making a *framework* out of them...

MessagePump-LV2009SP1.zip