Application:All VIs In Memory Property returns Class ctls?

I was a little surprised to open a Application:All VIs In Memory Property node and discover that it returns Class .ctl types and any typedefs associated with the class. Is this intended behavior? The help for Application:All VIs In Memory Property says

Available with control VIs:

No

Can anyone edumacate me?

thanks,

Mark

QUOTE (mesmith @ May 5 2009, 09:39 AM)

I was a little surprised to open a Application:All VIs In Memory Property node and discover that it returns Class .ctl types and any typedefs associated with the class. Is this intended behavior? The help for Application:All VIs In Memory Property says

Available with control VIs:

No

Can anyone edumacate me?

thanks,

Mark

I don't see this restriction in the 8.6 Context help window. Perhaps it was removed with the introduction of classes in 8.2 and the context help wasn't changed until recently?

That's a flaw in our documentation scheme. All four of the "Available with..." fields in the help apply ONLY to methods and properties of VI refnums, but those four fields get printed for help for all of our properties and methods. Ignore them.

All VIs In Memory correctly returns all the VIs in that application instance including standard VIs, control VIs, poly VIs, global VIs, and custom probe VIs. I don't konw what it does with the pseudo VIs (such as the clipboard VI or the proxy VIs that are created when one app instance makes a remote call to another app instance). Those aren't really VIs as customers know them, but they have attributes that make them look like VIs to many of LV's underlying subroutines, and they do appear in the VI Hierarchy Window, so maybe they're in the list too, but I can easily see them not being there.

[LATER EDIT] I talked with our tech writers. This bug in our documentation process has already been reported and will be fixed in the next version of LabVIEW.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ May 5 2009, 09:40 AM)

That's a flaw in our documentation scheme. All four of the "Available with..." fields in the help apply ONLY to methods and properties of VI refnums, but those four fields get printed for help for all of our properties and methods. Ignore them.

All VIs In Memory correctly returns all the VIs in that application instance including standard VIs, control VIs, poly VIs, global VIs, and custom probe VIs. I don't konw what it does with the pseudo VIs (such as the clipboard VI or the proxy VIs that are created when one app instance makes a remote call to another app instance). Those aren't really VIs as customers know them, but they have attributes that make them look like VIs to many of LV's underlying subroutines, and they do appear in the VI Hierarchy Window, so maybe they're in the list too, but I can easily see them not being there.

[LATER EDIT] I talked with our tech writers. This bug in our documentation process has already been reported and will be fixed in the next version of LabVIEW.

Thanks for the info

Mark

QUOTE (mesmith @ May 5 2009, 10:38 AM)

Now that's interesting - I'm running 8.6 and I get this window when I select help for "Application:All VIs In Memory Property" from the context window - are we talking about the same help menu?

Hi Mark,

I was talking about "Context Help" (Ctrl-H window), not "Detailed Help".

I get the same thing as you get...