Failure in detection of cameras

The cameras are not detected both in NI-MAX and Device manager.

And at times an improper shutdown event is not required for the cameras to be diconnected...

The cameras suddenly get undetected while the system is still running normally and then i have to just replug it (NO RESTART OR BOOT REQUIRED)

QUOTE (rahul @ May 22 2009, 12:32 AM)

The cameras are not detected both in NI-MAX and Device manager.

And at times an improper shutdown event is not required for the cameras to be diconnected...

The cameras suddenly get undetected while the system is still running normally and then i have to just replug it (NO RESTART OR BOOT REQUIRED)

Rahul,

One thing I've noticed over the years is that sometimes screen saver and power saver options can cause problems with hardware drivers that are unstable. Quite often for test computers I will completely disable all screen saver and power saver options.

If that doesn't help, another couple of things that come to mind, do you know if this is a problem you only see with multiple cameras as opposed to using only one?

I've had success using a single firewire cameras over long periods of times using LabVIEW 7.1.1, in different test setups using a Point Grey Research Scorpion in some cases and a Sony XCD-v50 in others, but I have not done simultaneous camera work with firewire (yet). I do admit the firewire setup is a bit flaky and takes some care to get working properly. You may need to check your code to make sure it is not doing odd things, like multiple inits and/or closes of the firewire camera references within the acquisition loop or things of that nature.

Hope this helps,

-Pete Liiva

QUOTE (rahul @ May 21 2009, 09:32 PM)

Seems to me you have a bad cable/connector on the card. Try a new better quality cable. I have multiple firewire cameras on PXI-RT running for many months at a time 24-7 acquiring 500,000+ images without needing to reboot. I reboot them once in a while when I visit the customer-site or when uploading new software.

I have had problems with cheapo cables from the electronics store. More expensive cables are usually more reliable.

I use Prosilica cameras by the way.

Neville.