How to suppress LV to create a Configuration file (*.ini) while building an application?

Hi,

I am searching for a way to suppress LabVIEW to create a Configuration file (*.ini) during the application building process, or at least set the name of such a Configuration file undependent from the name of the application. Has somebody an idea?

Background: When creating a new "Build Specification"-Item in the Project-window in order to build an application (exe), LabVIEW allows the user to set some properties. In the property-category "Advanced" it is either possible to select "Use the default LabVIEW Configuration file (LabVIEW.ini)" or to choose a "Configuration file in project" (see attached screenshot). In both cases LabVIEW will create a Configuration file when building an application. Until now, I found no way to suppress the creation of such a Configuration file. Furthermore, there even seems to be be no way to set the name of such a configuration file (configuration file name = Name of application with the extension "ini").

Any idea's welcomed :worshippy:

Best regards,

Horst

post-13504-124827474023_thumb.jpg

To my knowledge, there's no way to suppress. Such a ini-File is currently always created - if it does not exist - by starting a LabVIEW-exe for the first time.

To the contrary I think it is extremly useful. You can set the same settings for your application as for your LabVIEW-Development environment. One possibility e.g.: Set fonts for your application. I myself predefined in one application the history of colors so that the user gets some "default" colors then working with an graph. There are further possibilities and I would not miss them.

If you need further options beyond that that you want to set in another ini-file I'd say just do so.

Jens

Cat, thanks for the link! The discussion () is really closely related to my problem! Unfortunately, non of the ideas provided there are handy enough to solve my problem! :frusty:

Jens, after checking all the LV-Forums and NI-Sites, I tend to agree, that there might be no way to suppress the creation of such an ini-File.

I also agree, that such a ini-File can be a very useful and easy way to predefine many parameters of the application.... But in my 'special' (?) case it has a detrimental effect. In short: I have 2 Apps in a single folder and thus, 2 ini-Files. App No.1 requires a ini-file (which is provided during the application-building-process by a 'source-ini-file'), because it stores the setting of several VISA-Parameters. If the Names of the two Apps are 'unfortunate', App No.1 reads the ini-File of App No.2, which is empty or contains useless information. Thus, I had the idea to simply ( :lol: ) suppress the creation of a ini-File for App No.2....

Now, you might argue, that there are several other easy ways to overcome the problem, e.g. to set the Source-ini-File for BOTH Apps or to recode App No.1 slightly in a way that it, when it starts, searches for an ini-File with the exact App No.1-Name.

I was just wondering whether there really is no way to suppress LV to automatically create ini-files. In some way I find this unsuppressable 'behavoir' of LV to limit my 'programmatical freedom' or, to say it in a positive manner, to force me to write better code ;) .

Thanks,

Horst