Code Repository Package naming convention

Hi all,

I was wondering if we should have a naming convention for VIPM packages made available in the Code Repository?

For example, I see that Norm named his LV Speak package "lava_cr_LVSpeak" and I normally name mine using my last name (for internal references) "normandinf_lib_rcf_insert_typeconversion". While I understand that NI's and JKI's packages have the company name, I have no use of my name on the package name. It's already in the package description for copyright and that's enough.

So the question/proposal is: should we have a standard for naming packages to keep our VIPM interface clean and easy to sort out? I'm thinking there's gonna be more and more packages when all the stuff in the CR will be made available in the VI Package Network someday, and now could be a good time to start thinking proactively.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Actually, this is something that I have already given some thought to. Since there haven't been any package submissions to LAVA until now, I hadn't rushed to make a standard. I think the filename should have 'lava' in it. For example lava_lib_rcf_insert_typeconversion-1.0.9-1. What do you think?

In addition to the package name, the other issue is installation location. VI Packages that are distributed as being part of LAVA, should be installed under a LAVA sub-palette. At least, that is the goal. Your package is an RCF plugin so this isn't an issue right now. However If you want to setup a template for doing that then that would be a great help to others.

I like all the other fields:

post-2-124839956522_thumb.png

The only one I have an issue with is the homepage URL. This should point to the main download page of your file on LAVA, not the discussion thread.

Actually, this is something that I have already given some thought to. Since there haven't been any package submissions to LAVA until now, I hadn't rushed to make a standard. I think the filename should have 'lava' in it. For example lava_lib_rcf_insert_typeconversion-1.0.9-1. What do you think?

So user.lib\LAVA\packageName is a valid folder for packages?

For cross-platform compatibility (Linux) we should determine if LAVA is Caps or non-caps (lava).

I think we should enforce packages posted in this location should have a good mnu file and not just let everything show up in the palettes.

Ton

So user.lib\LAVA\packageName is a valid folder for packages?

For cross-platform compatibility (Linux) we should determine if LAVA is Caps or non-caps (lava).

I think we should enforce packages posted in this location should have a good mnu file and not just let everything show up in the palettes.

Ton

I remember I had issues with palettes appearing when I didn't want them to, unless I use an underscore to prevent the palettes from automatically loading my stuff in user.lib. I prefer to rely on menu files generated by VIPM. I'd suggest to use something like user.lib\_LAVA\packageName.

Totally okay with me. If we're to have a LAVA palette, then it should also have a nice icon.

However If you want to setup a template for doing that then that would be a great help to others.

Then it seems I've got a job. I'll see what I can come up with and PM you with my proposal.

The only one I have an issue with is the homepage URL. This should point to the main download page of your file on LAVA, not the discussion thread.

good point.

I remember I had issues with palettes appearing when I didn't want them to, unless I use an underscore to prevent the palettes from automatically loading my stuff in user.lib. I prefer to rely on menu files generated by VIPM. I'd suggest to use something like user.lib\_LAVA\packageName.

I agree, it should have an underscore. Also, I think capitalizing LAVA is OK.