Navigation of Front panel Screen in a project

Hello Sir,

Iam new to this LAVA Lounge. The current project which iam working involves a lot of FP screens (modal). I am searching for a better navigation systems for the screens control. Right now iam using buttons in every screen to jump to next screen. is there is any better way of handling this situation? Please let me know if u have any solutions.

Reply me if u have any doubts in my post.

Thanks and Regards

John

LV Rocks!!!

Iam new to this LAVA Lounge. The current project which iam working involves a lot of FP screens (modal). I am searching for a better navigation systems for the screens control. Right now iam using buttons in every screen to jump to next screen. is there is any better way of handling this situation? Please let me know if u have any solutions.

Hi John, welcome to LAVA.

If the screens need to interact with each other then I would go a different route - but from what you are describing with the modal screens - the user can only use one screen at a time so the following may work for your application:

Would using a main screen containing a subpanel with a common toolbar and run time menu sound like it may suit your GUI?

Similar to what you would find withe LabVIEW Options dialog.

I like using this for most of my applications that have multiple screens and can share common buttons/menu items.

Cheers

JG

The current project which iam working involves a lot of FP screens (modal). I am searching for a better navigation systems for the screens control. Right now iam using buttons in every screen to jump to next screen.

What you describe is a very common requirement in industrial control applications, where often a touchscreen is used to display these individual control screens.

We (NI Systems Engineering) have put together a reference design which is one solution to this requirement. It is called the HMI Navigation Engine (HNE) and parts of it are also included in the LV Touchpanel module (8.6 and later).

The reference design is based on pure LV code and will work on Windows as well as LV touchpanel targets.

The HNE uses a main VI in your UI application which is not visible to the user. It calls any number of subVIs, each of which is one of the screen you show to the user. The HNE VIs provide easy-to-use tools to switch between screens. They also keep a record of past screens visited so that you can easily add a Back button which jumps to the previous screen. The number of previous screens stored in memory can be configured.

The HNE document describes all of this in more detail.

What you describe is a very common requirement in industrial control applications, where often a touchscreen is used to display these individual control screens.

We (NI Systems Engineering) have put together a reference design which is one solution to this requirement. It is called the HMI Navigation Engine (HNE) and parts of it are also included in the LV Touchpanel module (8.6 and later).

The reference design is based on pure LV code and will work on Windows as well as LV touchpanel targets.

The HNE uses a main VI in your UI application which is not visible to the user. It calls any number of subVIs, each of which is one of the screen you show to the user. The HNE VIs provide easy-to-use tools to switch between screens. They also keep a record of past screens visited so that you can easily add a Back button which jumps to the previous screen. The number of previous screens stored in memory can be configured.

The HNE document describes all of this in more detail.

Thank you Christian_L. The HMI Navigation Engine is great. I will use this method for my screens navigation. I will let you know the working of the screens in a couple of days. thanks for the help.

Regards

John

LV Rocks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Christian_L. The HMI Navigation Engine is great. I will use this method for my screens navigation. I will let you know the working of the screens in a couple of days. thanks for the help.

Regards

John

LV Rocks!!!

I use Tab control and it works just fine. 1 thing to keep in mind when using Tab control is switching between tabs, make sure there is no control from other tab getting key focused, as LV will automatically switch to that key focused control's tab.