Problem running under operating systems of different languages

bimbone

Hallo!

I created the executable of my VI and everything works fine if installed on Windows in Italian, while on Windows in Finnish does not work.

The error that returns: unable to read and write files in a folder that is on C: \

The path that I use are constant and I copied the folder in C: \ make sure there is write protected.

Maybe when I run the application using the system folders of different name?

Maybe I should change labview.ini?

thanks,

Marco

Are you writing files directly in the root of the c:\ drive, or are they going into system folders? If it's the latter, the system folders might have different names (eg: local spellings of "Program Files" or "Documents and Settings", etc). In those cases, you're better off getting the location of those folders dynamically either using the registry (good method) or through a sysexec call to "path" (ok method). I've got some VIs around here somewhere that get some local user info from the registry - ping me if you want to take a look at them.

On second thought: this assumes that the language of the registry is always the same - is that a safe assumption?

Are you writing files directly in the root of the c:\ drive, or are they going into system folders? If it's the latter, the system folders might have different names (eg: local spellings of "Program Files" or "Documents and Settings", etc). In those cases, you're better off getting the location of those folders dynamically either using the registry (good method) or through a sysexec call to "path" (ok method). I've got some VIs around here somewhere that get some local user info from the registry - ping me if you want to take a look at them.

On second thought: this assumes that the language of the registry is always the same - is that a safe assumption?

I write and read directly into a folder called "machines" and is in c: \

Tomorrow I send you the specific problem, as it gives labview, currently I have no windows in Finnish, I have only reported the problem.

I was only reported the problem.

tanks,

Marco

I write and read directly into a folder called "machines" and is in c: \

Tomorrow I send you the specific problem, as it gives labview, currently I have no windows in Finnish, I have only reported the problem.

I was only reported the problem.

tanks,

Marco

Just have to ask; you are not having a space between : and \ are you.

In both your posts you do have a space between these characters, and I don't think Windows like a folder/file name to start or end with a space character (cannot check right now).

/J

Just have to ask; you are not having a space between : and \ are you.

In both your posts you do have a space between these characters, and I don't think Windows like a folder/file name to start or end with a space character (cannot check right now).

/J

Good catch - I didn't notice that he was doing that. A space there is just completely incorrect syntax; the driver letter must be immediately followed by a colon and either nothing OR a backslash. That is, "c:" is correct (in some circumstances) but "c:\" is always correct.

As a side note, you can have leading spaces in directory names, but trailing are trimmed.