Building in multiple versions

I've got a utility that's written in LV2009. Some of my users only have the 8.6 (or 8.6.1, or 8.5, or 8.2...) runtime engine. They aren't likely to upgrade anytime soon.

Every time I release a new version, I need to back-port the code to prior LV versions and rebuild by hand, retargetting for different build locations each time: Error prone and time consuming.

Has anyone ever seen a solution that might automate this mess? Or at least help?

Thanks,

Joe Z.

I've got a utility that's written in LV2009. Some of my users only have the 8.6 (or 8.6.1, or 8.5, or 8.2...) runtime engine. They aren't likely to upgrade anytime soon.

Every time I release a new version, I need to back-port the code to prior LV versions and rebuild by hand, retargetting for different build locations each time: Error prone and time consuming.

Has anyone ever seen a solution that might automate this mess? Or at least help?

I usually go the other side around, doing the work in the older version and test afterwards that it still works in the newer one. Of course if you have to support runtime rather than the development system, you won't be able to avoid building a runtime distribution for each of these versions.

But then it is the question why won't they be able to install a newer runtime version? After all you can install several runtime versions alongside each other with no problem. In fact if you install driver software from NI, such as NI-VISA, DAQmx etc. you already have at least two to three different runtime versions installed since varous tools and utilities in there were developed in various LabVIEW versions.

I usually go the other side around, doing the work in the older version and test afterwards that it still works in the newer one. Of course if you have to support runtime rather than the development system, you won't be able to avoid building a runtime distribution for each of these versions.

But then it is the question why won't they be able to install a newer runtime version? After all you can install several runtime versions alongside each other with no problem. In fact if you install driver software from NI, such as NI-VISA, DAQmx etc. you already have at least two to three different runtime versions installed since varous tools and utilities in there were developed in various LabVIEW versions.

My users are in a medical development environment. Sometimes, they're a little paranoid about updating.

Joe Z.

My users are in a medical development environment. Sometimes, they're a little paranoid about updating.

Joe Z.

My medical customers are in the same situation (da$# lawyers). I keep a seperate boot partition for each version of LV so I can "re-boot back in time" to the version their code was developed in. This is the only method that I havce found that allows me to freeze one version hile still allowing access to others.

Just my 2 cents,

Ben

I keep a seperate boot partition for each version of LV so I can "re-boot back in time" to the version their code was developed in. This is the only method that I havce found that allows me to freeze one version hile still allowing access to others.

Use virtual machines that are stored on a server - you can go select whichever combination of Windows/LabVIEW/TestStand that you need for testing.

Sorry for the delay, my RSS feed didn't pick up the replies.

Unfortunately, I work directly for the (40k+ person) company, and don't have the ability to keep virtual machines or separate partitions... or a modern browser, or a number of other things developed this millenium.

I guess I'm stuck with the manual version for now.

Thanks all,

Joe Z.

Unfortunately, I work directly for the (40k+ person) company, and don't have the ability to keep virtual machines or separate partitions... or a modern browser, or a number of other things developed this millenium.

I'm curious how this came to be. Is it licensing issues?