Open Office Toolkit

It might be nice if there were VIs in the API that mirrored those in the NI Report Generation Toolkit. Then it would be easier to migrate to an API that we can edit and expand as we need to.

Or even better just superimpose them. I can somehow see that only the Report instanziation (spellcheck) has to be changed, but a new class OpenOfficeReport could override the Office Report Toolkit.

This would also limit the number of functions you need to create.

Ton

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Or even better just superimpose them. I can somehow see that only the Report instanziation (spellcheck) has to be changed, but a new class OpenOfficeReport could override the Office Report Toolkit.

Ton

I don't know why, but I missed your answers guys! I guess I should "track" my topics. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I indeed thought I could mirror the NI Report Generation VIs for the Basic Reports palette. The rest of the code would be hidden inside those to control individually cells, paragraphs and graphics. That's the approach I'll take for the first version. Building on that can be transparent for the end-user of the library.

Still, I found some bumps in the current implementation of the AODL 1.3 library. Its behavior is not polished to the point where it's as easy as OfficeReport. I'll try to document that a little.

• Like 1

Ton

On your advice, I checked the hierarchy of vi.lib/Utility/NiReport.llb and I will create two child classes "ooWriter" & "ooCalc" that will inherit from NI_report.lvclass.

It should then be only a matter of adding these two choices to the selector enum of "New Report.vi" and voilĂ . I think that's the spirit behind OOP, isn't it?

• 1 month later...

I've received a few PMs concerning this. Thanks all for waiting. The last few weeks, I've had less time than I would have wanted to continue this work and I am posting my preliminary work as is. There are a lot of holes in there, especially since I have not yet begun coding for the Spreadsheet Documents (Calc), only for Writer. Furthermore, the utility VIs like "Set Font" and "Save to File" should be much more "intelligent". As of today, use a correct OpenOffice filename with a ODT extension to save your work.

Remember that this is preliminary, but it makes use of the NI Report Generation Toolkit that handily comes coded in LVOOP. The "New Report.vi" VI is being replaced by one that can select ooWriter and ooCalc among others. The AODL libraries (DLLs) are installed in the vi.lib\Utility\NIReport.llb\ooWriter\AODL folder.

I have not yet touched all the power of playing with Cell contents, which will be necessary for upgrading to ooCalc eventually.

From now on, please use the discussion thread that was created with the submission in Code Rep for any comments on code or suggestions.

BTW, this is coded in LV 2009... but I don't see a problem in the future to downgrade the code to 8.2. I just don't have time for the moment to test it. (Please bear with me.)

Enjoy!

• Like 1