Check for update function

Hi,

I am writing a program which often has new functions added. The program is used by a lot of people in my company. At the moment each time i make a new release I put the new executable on a network drive and the people who use the program has to copy the new version to the pc. I would like to know if there is a smart way to make an check for update function in my program. I know that there is one in the VIPM, but have not any idea how it is made.

Best regards

Jacob

LV 8.5.1

You could check the MD5 checksum of the executable and compare it with the latest file on your network.  Your application would only need to know the path to the latest-and-greatest version and could compare the two.

And then if it's different, copy it and spin off a batch file to copy the updated executable into place.

Hi

We use a central MSSQL production database, where we have all software listed, plus a change log what have been changed between all versions.

So every time the application starts up it check if it's Software Part Number and revisi0n is the latest one, if not it displays all changes between the versions and gives the user an option to upgrade.

If they decide to upgrade I start another LabVIEW exe-file located on the network (instead of using a batch file) and closes the current application.

The Upgrade application, takes a copy of the current version and stores it locally in an OldVersions-folder, and then download the next version (using the database as a reference).

When it's copied the application in place it starts it up. It also gives the user an option to revert back to the old version if the new version has some problems.

To get this working smooth fully, we have a Configuration Management tool (simple LV app), to help out with creating new versions in the database and upload, commit and tag every release.

Cheers,

Mikael

• Like 1