Name this methodology in LV

carlover

Hi,

I tried searching for information but I guess I don't know right terminology buzzwords ... This is general description of what I want to do:

Have a vi acquire data through communication port. Data stream contains values from numerous variables (no problem with this..). I would like data to displayed using slider indicators . However, slider displays might change in future ( colors, shape, etc.) , or in future additional data sets might be coming through com port that needs to be displayed.

What I would like to do is create a class called "slider" ( I am guessing class is right approach, but maybe not). Some properties might be inherited from base class, and some object properties might be unique to each object of the class (i.e. all sliders might look different from one another). That way I can minimize work for creating new sliders. Also I would like to have all of my sliders located in one directory - so for example if someone else wants to create their own version of the slider or add new one, "all" they have to do is drop their slider into that directory and main vi will account or recognize it...Now in conjuction to that what is the best way or methodology to 'deliver' data ( parsed data?) to those slider indicators? Hard wiring to indicators is one way, but is there a way for 'sliders' to subscribe to certain data - that way it would be easier to implement new sliders if additional data comes down the stream.

I am not looking for anyone do deliver a solution to me, just to point me in the right direction where to find more information ( or simple example ). I tried searching for class and inheretance and variations of it but I can't find any onfo or an example.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I tried searching for information but I guess I don't know right terminology buzzwords ... This is general description of what I want to do:

Have a vi acquire data through communication port. Data stream contains values from numerous variables (no problem with this..). I would like data to displayed using slider indicators . However, slider displays might change in future ( colors, shape, etc.) , or in future additional data sets might be coming through com port that needs to be displayed.

What I would like to do is create a class called "slider" ( I am guessing class is right approach, but maybe not). Some properties might be inherited from base class, and some object properties might be unique to each object of the class (i.e. all sliders might look different from one another). That way I can minimize work for creating new sliders. Also I would like to have all of my sliders located in one directory - so for example if someone else wants to create their own version of the slider or add new one, "all" they have to do is drop their slider into that directory and main vi will account or recognize it...Now in conjuction to that what is the best way or methodology to 'deliver' data ( parsed data?) to those slider indicators? Hard wiring to indicators is one way, but is there a way for 'sliders' to subscribe to certain data - that way it would be easier to implement new sliders if additional data comes down the stream.

I am not looking for anyone do deliver a solution to me, just to point me in the right direction where to find more information ( or simple example ). I tried searching for class and inheretance and variations of it but I can't find any onfo or an example.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I wrote one of those but can't share the code. This thread has some topics that you may find interesting.

http://lavag.org/topic/7953-how-do-i-clone-a-lvoop-class/

Part of the req was that I had to deploy new control that the user could include in the GUI designs. Since the customer always wore Disney themed shirts, I adeed a Goofey boolean while he watched! He liked it. rolleyes.gif

Ben

The basic concept you're looking for is plugins. As for passing the data, creating user events or notifiers for each control is probably your best bet.

Here are two options which may save you time and give you ideas. The first is called "LVx" and can be found in this site. The second, which might be more relevant, can be found by searching the NI forums for "dynapanels" and I believe its code is open as well.