Check box when label of that checkbox is clicked

I am trying to emulate the function of a checkbox that you would find in most installers and other applications.

With the checkbox that comes with labview, you have to check the checkbox to get it to "check". But in most other applications, if you click the label of that checkbox or the checkbox itself, it will check the box.

I have not found a setting that lets you change this natively in labview.

Should I put a hidden control under the label and have it check the box or is there another way to handle it?

Thanks

Should I post this as a weekly nugget? I assumed it was well-known, but if two LAVA guys didn't know about it, that probably translates to way more 'regular' LV programmers not knowing... ;)

-D

Might not be a bad idea.

Edited by dblk22vball

Should I post this as a weekly nugget? I assumed it was well-known, but if two LAVA guys didn't know about it, that probably translates to way more 'regular' LV programmers not knowing... wink.gif

Couldn't hurt. Maybe it is well known... just 'cause I'm vocal on LAVA doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about!

(It's awfully presumptuous to assume I'm a "guy." I could be the cutie on the left in my avatar picture you know. wink.gif )

Should I post this as a weekly nugget? I assumed it was well-known, but if two LAVA guys didn't know about it, that probably translates to way more 'regular' LV programmers not knowing... ;)

It's certainly not something I'd put down as obvious, and I don't any mention of the function in the help file (LV2009), so, yeah, it'd be a good nugget. :thumbup1: It would almost be better if a checkbox hid its label by default and only showed the boolean text when dropped.

Yep - I didn't know about it.

WOW!

And here I thought it was common knowledge. Incidentally, this is true of any button if you release the BooleanText and move it off the button. Clicking the text will still activate the button. I wouldn't advocate moving text off the button as standard procedure for anything other than Check Boxes or Radio Buttons, though. biggrin.gif

So does everyone know about shift-enter and ctrl-shift-enter on case structures?

• Like 1

Doesn't seem to do anything for me (LV2009) ...

I guess this would make a good nugget as well (if it hasn't already been covered). Allow me to explain.

If you are editing the case name in the case selector with the text tool:

• Shift-Enter will give you a new blank case.
  • Ctrl-Shift-Enter will give you a duplicate of the case you were on.

In both methods, the new case becomes the active displayed case with the text tool active in the case selector. Type a new name and hit the key combo again. You can rapidly prototype up a bunch of empty or duplicated cases.

• Like 2

• Shift-Enter will give you a new blank case.
  • Ctrl-Shift-Enter will give you a duplicate of the case you were on.

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it be just as easy to right-click on the case structure and select "Add Case After" or "Duplicate Case"?? I must be missing something here... blink.gif

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it be just as easy to right-click on the case structure and select "Add Case After" or "Duplicate Case"?? I must be missing something here... blink.gif

Absolutely if you aren't already typing a case name in the selector and you only want to add 1 case. But what if you want to add 5 cases... or 10? I guarantee you when you need to do that it is much faster than switching back and forth between mouse and keyboard, right-clicking, selecting, etc...

The key is that you can do it over and over again while typing your case names.