USB 6009 Safe Remove

Grey

Hello All,

I recently purchased USB 6009 and trying to do some experiments and learning myself (Thanks Youtube!)

is it safe that can we unplug the USB 6009 when windows is running?

(Just think an example of safe removing memory stick from the computer!).

Is it harmful to unplug USB 6009 from the computer when it is ON condition?

Thanks for reading my query.

Sincerely

Grey

Ofcourse i close all VIs and MAX Window too.

I may be wrong but I thought the safely remove was primarily just for storage based devices. And doing so just ensures that you are not writing (or probably reading) to the device when you unplug it. I also heard somewhere that most devices don't need to be safely removed because of some weird buffering that goes on in Windows and removing it while writing won't screw it up just cause the files not to be written (because they didn't finish)

So if what I said was all true (and it might not be) then I would say there should be no problem in removing the device without going through the procedure to "safely remove" it. Have you ever tried to safely remove it and it say that it can't because it is being used? Try making a DAQ task that uses it then try to remove it. If it says it is okay to remove then I don't see a need to safely remove it. If it says that it can't be removed, that doesn't mean it will break it, only that it may need more investigating. I'm curious does the manuals say anything about safely removing the device?

I may be wrong but I thought the safely remove was primarily just for storage based devices. And doing so just ensures that you are not writing (or probably reading) to the device when you unplug it. I also heard somewhere that most devices don't need to be safely removed because of some weird buffering that goes on in Windows and removing it while writing won't screw it up just cause the files not to be written (because they didn't finish)

So if what I said was all true (and it might not be) then I would say there should be no problem in removing the device without going through the procedure to "safely remove" it. Have you ever tried to safely remove it and it say that it can't because it is being used? Try making a DAQ task that uses it then try to remove it. If it says it is okay to remove then I don't see a need to safely remove it. If it says that it can't be removed, that doesn't mean it will break it, only that it may need more investigating. I'm curious does the manuals say anything about safely removing the device?

Hello Gary,

Thanks for the message!

I really not able to find about "Safe Removing" in the Manual of USB 6009.(or they didn't talk about safe removing in the manual)

I'm interested to know how the experienced users normally plugging out their USB DAQ device out of the computer.

I will share my experience in future (or near future!) in case if i have any problem in my DAQ due to the "Non Safe removing" practice. :)

Thanks.

Regards,

Grey

I haven't tried it with a 6009 but I have had issues whereby removing a DAQmx USB device mid acquisition (ie with software running etc) causes a blue screen of death (even on Windows Vista - I didnt even think that was still possible, but that's another story).

(With the application idling / closed I haven't come across any problems with "unsafe removal" of USB DAQmx hardware)