Dragging a Block diagram from the Icon or Pallet

MrYoung

Hi,

I work with a team of very experienced LabVIEW developers, but none of them can answer this question! I seem to remember being able to drag and drop a diagram snippet from the block diagram of a subVI from it's icon.

Imagine you have your function pallet open, and you grab a VI, and instead of its icon being placed, it's the code snippet from its block diagram. Kinda like a template. The VI DOESN'T HAVE A FRONT PANEL!!

Have I simply dreamed this up!? I don't really need this functionality, but I would love to clear my head.frusty.gif

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Hi,

I work with a team of very experienced LabVIEW developers, but none of them can answer this question! I seem to remember being able to drag and drop a diagram snippet from the block diagram of a subVI from it's icon.

Imagine you have your function pallet open, and you grab a VI, and instead of its icon being placed, it's the code snippet from its block diagram. Kinda like a template. The VI DOESN'T HAVE A FRONT PANEL!!

Have I simply dreamed this up!? I don't really need this functionality, but I would love to clear my head.frusty.gif

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

You are not dreaming... ...yes you can do this. :)

All you need to do is select that VI as a Merge VI (artifact) or to Place VI Contents when editing the palettes (also I recommend checking out VIPM 2010 as it makes editing the palettes really easy too).

Check out the Nugget Penman here for more info on it.

As for dropping an actual template from the palettes - you can vote for this Idea beer_mug.gif

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Indeed. You can.

When you edit the pallet menus, there is an option (right click on the VI) to "Place Vi Contents". I you create a VI and set this value, the contents of the VI will be placed in the diagram instead of the icon.

lol. JGCode is a faster typist than I biggrin.gif

Edited by ShaunR

Indeed. You can.

When you edit the pallet menus, there is an option (right click on the VI) to "Place Vi Contents". I you create a VI and set this value, the contents of the VI will be placed in the diagram instead of the icon.

lol. JGCode is a faster typist than I biggrin.gif

...and I included links ;)