INI File... useless?

I've noticed that when an EXE is created, it generates an INI file with the same name as the EXE program.

Now, does this INI file serve some sort of purpose? I don't write anything to it nor read anything from it, so it appears to me as a useless file, or does it store information after multiple uses?

If it stores nothing, is there a way to have it NOT generate an ini file?

Forgive me if this question has been asked before. Most of my labview experience has been in developing for applications where there isn't a need for an EXE version of the VIs.

I've noticed that when an EXE is created, it generates an INI file with the same name as the EXE program. 

Now, does this INI file serve some sort of purpose?  I don't write anything to it nor read anything from it, so it appears to me as a useless file,  or does it store information after multiple uses?

If it stores nothing, is there a way to have it NOT generate an ini file?

Forgive me if this question has been asked before.  Most of my labview experience has been in developing for applications where there isn't a need for an EXE version of the VIs.

1485[/snapback]

Application settings are stored in the file. For example, if the VI Server and Web Server are enabled in your application, access list and exported/visible VIs list are stored there.

You can distribute this this configuration file with preset settings for servers and default fonts etc.

So having an ini file is mandatory?

Granted, as I've said, most of my applications have been used in VI form, but of the ones I have made into an EXE, I have never seen anything actually entered in that file.

It always uses it regardless? There's no way to have it NOT generate one?

When I get a chance, I'll look at the App Builder documentation. Right now I'm currently busy trying to figure out to create a Tcl Interpreter in LabVIEW, so believe me... I'm getting my fill of documentation. :headbang:

• 1 year later...

Having an INI file isn't necessary. In fact, unless you specify an INI file to be copied over (in versions 7.1 and below), the application builder doesn't create one for you. The INI file is created when the application is first launched.

The INI file contains settings similar to that of the LabIVEW.ini. It has settings that can help with webservers, VI server access and other settings that deal with colors for graphs and other user defined options. However, not all settings are stored in the INI file of the application.

There are also tokens that can be used to specify what run-time engine is used when the app is run.

A lot of people won't find the INI file all that useful, however there are some definite use cases for them.