VISA read raw data from USB board Analog Devices ADISUSBZ

eric_lmi

Hi

I am trying to use VISA to read the raw data from a USB dev board (Analog Devices ADISUSBZ). but always get below errors

"BFFF003A Unable to start operation because setup is invalid."

the vi code attached below,

VISA Open running successfully, but when call VISA Write or Read Function, it always get below error

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF003A) Unable to start operation because setup is invalid (due to attributes being set to an inconsistent state).

the system i used. Win 7(also tried win xp,same error), labview 2009, VISA Driver 5.02(also tried 5.03, same error message)

also tried the VISA USB Demo vi USB RAW - Bulk.vi, also get the same error

So i did another test using Measurement & Automation Explorer

what I did.

1) uninstalled and deleted the origanl USB driver for ADISUSBZ

2) plugin ADISUSBZ USB Dev board, windows see a unknown device, using VISA Driver Wizard to create a USB driver inf file for ADISUSBZ

3) installed the new driver which VISA Driver Wizard created, restarted computer, ADISUSBZ is identified and loaded with VISA USB driver. also showing "This device is working properly."

4) Run Measurement & Automation Explorer, in the Devices and Interfaces list, I can see that USB device which is the ADISUSBZ. but the name is

Unkown USB0::0x0456::0xEF02::NI-VISA-40002::RAW (the VID PID tell me, it is the ADISUSBZ USB Dev board)

5) Open VISA Test panel -> View All Settable Attributes, I got below data, where VI_ATTR_USB_BULK_IN_STATUS = -1 (not active???)

VI_ATTR_TMO_VALUE = 2000

VI_ATTR_MAX_QUEUE_LENGTH = 50

VI_ATTR_TERMCHAR = 0x0A

VI_ATTR_TERMCHAR_EN = VI_FALSE

VI_ATTR_IO_PROT = 1

VI_ATTR_SUPPRESS_END_EN = VI_FALSE

VI_ATTR_USB_MAX_INTR_SIZE = 1

VI_ATTR_USB_CTRL_PIPE = 0x0000

VI_ATTR_USB_BULK_OUT_PIPE = 0xFFFF

VI_ATTR_USB_BULK_IN_PIPE = 0xFFFF

VI_ATTR_USB_INTR_IN_PIPE = 0xFFFF

VI_ATTR_USB_ALT_SETTING = 0

VI_ATTR_USB_BULK_OUT_STATUS = -1

VI_ATTR_USB_BULK_IN_STATUS = -1

VI_ATTR_USB_INTR_IN_STATUS = -1

VI_ATTR_USB_END_IN = 5

6) Basic I/O -> viRead , set count to 1 or default 1024 , execute

return status is always BFFF003A

I searched in error list, it says

"BFFF003A Unable to start operation because setup is invalid."

any idea what is wrong? help

BTW, the ADISUSBZ USB board works fine, test with its own software, it is not hardware faulty

Eric

IMU Project.zip

Raw USB in LabvIEW is very "trixie". There is no real defined standard and the process for actually getting something usable is fraught with problems. If you need USB it's much better to go for one that supports a virtual serial interface. Raw USB in LV is (IMO) to be avoided at all costs.

However.

I think from what you re saying that you have read the NI tutorial (you talk about creating a driver in the wizard) and I will add the caveat that generally. a USB driver cannot exist side-by-side with VISA (i.e you must uninstall and completely remove the vendors driver).

But your problem has been discussed here before. I'm not sure that a resolution was every found but here is the link in the hope it provides something useful.

Thats about all I can offer, I'm afraid.

Edited by ShaunR
  • 2 years later...