News about the LabVIEW Wiki! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
James McAnanama

Ping with Labview

Is there an easy way to detect another computer on a network using Labview? (as opposed to System Exec & Ping).

I want my Labview app to periodically check the health of key computers on my network.

If they have any ports open, then you can attempt to open a TCP connection to that computer and that port. If it doesn't timeout/crapout then the PC is running. As far as it's status, that's another issue all together

There is a ping VI in the NI knowledge base somewhere. I also have one contributed by a generous sole.

However, can a small app be written for each of the key machines that sends a message every N seconds. If your monitor PC does not receive that message every N + a little bit, seconds, then the PC is dead or off the network. Sort of like a watchdog. You could use TCPIP or datasocket for a quicker implementation. As for the message, I'd get it to send it's IP address.

I like the watchdog approach. However, some of the devices I am looking at are SBCs that are streaming data to another application, and they don't support multiple connections.

Thanks for reference to the NI Knowledge base. I guess I am stuck with sytem exec. This is fine - I am just surprised that LV doesn't have built in support for Ping.

Cheers,

James