Data-transfer through satelite connection

Hello,

I have to connect two computers for data transfer. However since none of these computers will have normal internet acces, the only way this can be done is through satelite communication.

I have two satelite phones available which can be connected through a COM port to the computers. I have been able to transfer the data with VISA, when the connection between the two satelite phones is running. However since I have to pay for this communication per minute, and data only needs to be send once every 10 minutes or so I have been looking for a way to make LabVIEW initialise the connection between the two phones when data becomes available, and terminate it again when the transfer is done. I can't seem to find any way how to do this though.

I hope anyone can help me with this.

Thanks

Edited by JurjenHendriks

Hello,

I have to connect two computers for data transfer. However since none of these computers will have normal internet acces, the only way this can be done is through satelite communication.

I have two satelite phones available which can be connected through a COM port to the computers. I have been able to transfer the data with VISA, when the connection between the two satelite phones is running. However since I have to pay for this communication per minute, and data only needs to be send once every 10 minutes or so I have been looking for a way to make LabVIEW initialise the connection between the two phones when data becomes available, and terminate it again when the transfer is done. I can't seem to find any way how to do this though.

I hope anyone can help me with this.

Thanks

I'm presuming that when you say it's connected through the COM port. The phones have a built in modem (most modern ones do). In which case it is just choosing the appropriate AT commands. (e.g ATD+12125551212; to dial and ATH to hang-up)

Edited by ShaunR

I'm presuming that when you say it's connected through the COM port. The phones have a built in modem (most modern ones do). In which case it is just choosing the appropriate AT commands. (e.g ATD+12125551212; to dial and ATH to hang-up)

Thanks, this is really usefull.

Do I need a terminal emulator to send these commands, or can they simply be send by the VISA-write function?