LabView installer problem

Hi,

I created an installer file to install my labview application on another machine.

The installer file runs and installs the application but after installation if I go to the path there is no such folder as shown while installing. And I am not able to locate the exe file.

But it is shown in 'programs and features' where I can only uninstall the application. What kind of problem is that?

Is there anyhting wrong with my project settings?

Please help..!!!

Sharon

P.S: I can create and run .exe file directly from 'Build specifications'.

Edited by Sharon_

Assuming you've actually included the exe in your installation (I know, that's an obvious one)... a couple thoughts:

What happens if you run the installer on the same machine you built it on? Can you find the folder or exe then?

Any chance the folder you're installing to is set as "hidden", so it's really there but you just can't see it??

Assuming you've actually included the exe in your installation (I know, that's an obvious one)... a couple thoughts:

What happens if you run the installer on the same machine you built it on? Can you find the folder or exe then?

Any chance the folder you're installing to is set as "hidden", so it's really there but you just can't see it??

Hi Cat,

Now I am able to create installer files. But Serial VISA resource 'refresh' is not working.frusty.gif

The application is for reading/writing modbus registers thru' COM Port. Our people use usb-serial converter- so we don't know the virtual COM port number.

What is wrong with my application? throwpc.gif

-Sharon

P.S: I have tried all these things in CVI/Labwindows but not in LabVIEW. So I am not sure about the problem unsure.gif Thanks

Edited by Sharon_

Now I am able to create installer files. But Serial VISA resource 'refresh' is not working.frusty.gif

The application is for reading/writing modbus registers thru' COM Port. Our people use usb-serial converter- so we don't know the virtual COM port number.

Did you install the serial drivers with your application? They can be included in the installation, but won't install by default.

Tim

Did you install the serial drivers with your application? They can be included in the installation, but won't install by default.

Tim

It does not work. I just created a sample VI just to test Serial port.

post-16569-0-49433000-1304932747_thumb.j

And I created an installer from Build Specifications--> Installer

post-16569-0-83568200-1304932799_thumb.j

It did create an installer about 127 MB file. When I install it, the installer is to create a folder called VISA in program files folder. But there is no folder at all.

unsure.gif what is this problem.

Sharon

It did create an installer about 127 MB file. When I install it, the installer is to create a folder called VISA in program files folder. But there is no folder at all.

unsure.gif what is this problem.

Under the category "Additional Installers", toward the bottom, is NI-Serial. Is NI-Serial checked? This will include the serial drivers with your installation kit. You would have to manually install the serial drivers otherwise.

Tim

Under the category "Additional Installers", toward the bottom, is NI-Serial. Is NI-Serial checked? This will include the serial drivers with your installation kit. You would have to manually install the serial drivers otherwise.

Tim

Hi,

I vcould not find any Ni-Serial but there is an option to install NI-Serial 3.6.0. But if check it it is asking me for the device driver CD. Is it hat we want to install..? But I have already installed all the drivers on my laptop right..?

post-16569-0-26224100-1305005187_thumb.j

post-16569-0-12693300-1305005199_thumb.j

ahh.. it is confusing...

Sharon

Hi,

I vcould not find any Ni-Serial but there is an option to install NI-Serial 3.6.0. But if check it it is asking me for the device driver CD. Is it hat we want to install..? But I have already installed all the drivers on my laptop right..?

It's trying to get the installer for the serial driver to include in the installer you are building and has nothing to do with the driver being installed on your build PC. It's going to use the serial driver installer as your laptop may not have the files needed for the specific machine you are going to install your application on.

Tim

hi I had a problem similar to yours. You can build an executable without NI-Serial, then you have to build another installer (using something like Inno setup) this installer has to install your installer, plus Ni-serial (download it from ni.com)

• 7 months later...

Hi Sharon, In your first post you mentioned that the application and it's directory wouldn't install on Windows 7 which is exactly the same problem that I am having. In your next post you said that you could now install it but you didn't say how you managed to overcome the problem. Do you remember what you did to fix it as I have the same problem and so far NI haven't been able to advise me what the problem is or how to fix it.

Cheers,

Colin