Sharp Irony

Cat

Other than a few disappointing attempts at OOP, I've so far managed to avoid that paradigm altogether (sometimes it is true that you can't teach an old cat new tricks).

Imagine my surprise when I was asked to work on a new project that's going to be written in C#. Can't get much OOP-ier than that. Guess I better dust off my copy of The Object-Oriented Thought Process.

Welcome to the club :) Seriously though, I think that you'll find this new world quite exciting once you dip your toe in the water. So will all the project be done in C#, or will you be doing a component in LabVIEW? If the latter, I suggest you start with the NI OO Course - it is one of their better courses (originally written by Mike Holmstron of Endevo fame).

Welcome to the club :) Seriously though, I think that you'll find this new world quite exciting once you dip your toe in the water. So will all the project be done in C#, or will you be doing a component in LabVIEW? If the latter, I suggest you start with the NI OO Course - it is one of their better courses (originally written by Mike Holmstron of Endevo fame).

Nope, it'll all be in C#. And in an entirely different project, I've had a bunch of Solaris C++ code dumped on me and been told to make it work (in C++) on a Windows machine. Guess I'll be dusting off my Learn C in 21 Days book, too. :)

Actually, all of will hopefully force me to wrap my head around OOP so when I decide not to use it in my LV apps, at least I'll be making an informed decision. :P

And if I do learn to love drinking the OOP Kool-aid, I'll definitely take the NI course.

Other than a few disappointing attempts at OOP, I've so far managed to avoid that paradigm altogether (sometimes it is true that you can't teach an old cat new tricks).

Imagine my surprise when I was asked to work on a new project that's going to be written in C#. Can't get much OOP-ier than that. Guess I better dust off my copy of The Object-Oriented Thought Process.

I might buy this book just for the cover art... Wat Phra Kaew at the Thai Grand Palace in Bangkok.

NI rewrote their LVOOP course. It is no longer the one written by Mike. I haven't had the chance to teach the new material yet. They focus more now on native classes, I heard good things about the course from the students perspective.

Cat,

You'll be fine, no worries. It would be a lot easier in LabVIEW, but you have conquered bigger beasts than this one thumbup1.gif

Fab

For the mechanics of C#, I really liked Andrew Troelsen's Pro C# and the .NET Platform (although I have an earlier version). It's a fun language, and Visual Studio is really very nice to work with.

Have fun,

Joe Z.

Imagine my surprise when I was asked to work on a new project that's going to be written in C#. Can't get much OOP-ier than that.

Actually, you can. I know they say "everything is an object" in C# but it's not really true. What aren't objects? I think some native data types (such as interfaces) and operators (index into array) are not objects. Code blocks aren't objects. Statements aren't objects.

If you want to really bend your brain, Smalltalk and Eiffel are two languages that are OOP-ier than C#. (I've done some exploring in Smalltalk. Don't know much about Eiffel.)

It would be a lot easier in LabVIEW

I know! Maybe I should tell the rest of the team they need to learn LVOOP instead. :yes:

Are you going to be closing down your LAVA account?

Are you kicking me out? :P

No way I'm leaving voluntarily. I'm going to need you all to b!tch to when I get frustrated by doing things the hard way again. :wacko: