When trying to debug a remote application Windows reports that the application has encountered a problem and needs to close

I built a stand alone application using LabVIEW 2010. I enabled debugging. This application is running in a Windows XP computer that only has the LabVIEW Run Time Engine.

In a separate computer that does have LabVIEW 2010, I click on the menu Operate>>Debug Application or Shared Library. I entered the IP address of the computer where the exe is running and I am able to click connect. In the status window I start to see how all the VIs get downloaded. As soon as the front panel shows up in this computer, the computer running the executable displays one of those "lovely" Windows indicating that my application "has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." And then proceed to ask me to send the error report to Microsoft.

I can consistently reproduce this behavior. Every time I want to connect to the executable, I get the error window on the computer running the executable as soon as the remote computer loads the front panel.

Any ideas? It would be nice if I didn't have to find bugs on the tools I am using to debug an application that has its own bugs... oh well...

Thanks,

Fab

Have you tried building a separate test app. "Hello world" - Do nothing sort of App. Easy and quite to create and build, would tell you if your app, or LabVIEW is triggering the crashes.

NI also does offer support for their products. You could try their forums as well. (If you do, then post the link here.)

I tried setting the top level VI to not RUN when opened. But if I do that I can not see the application listed, even after clicking on the run arrow.

Has anybody else had problems debugging remote applications?

Have you tried building a separate test app. "Hello world" - Do nothing sort of App. Easy and quite to create and build, would tell you if your app, or LabVIEW is triggering the crashes.

NI also does offer support for their products. You could try their forums as well. (If you do, then post the link here.)

Thanks SuperS,

Normally I have more luck here than at NI's forums ;)

I did try with a simple executable that only adds two numbers and I was able to connect to it and I was able to debug the block diagram and run highlighted execution.

I wanted to see if anyone else had tried debugging a remote application and had the same problem. Maybe they could give me ideas on what could be preventing me from connecting to this particular application. Unfortunately, I did not write the code and I am not very familiar with the application. But it someone went like "I remember this happening to me when I was trying to X", maybe I could look for X on this app.

Thanks for your time,

Fab

I have had problems with various firewalls when doing this. The debugging tool is very sensitive to low capacity, medium-high latency networks. It will work, but I have had it crash/timeout often when not on my LAN.

It is good that the installer worked, I am guessing that it updated some libraries that were flaky.

It worked but now it turns that either we have access to the Block Diagram or access to the custom run-time menus, but not both.

This also got me thinking that the block diagram should open automatically, I posted an idea for that: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Automatically-open-block-diagram-when-debugging-an-application/idi-p/1574278 with a video of how it works now.

At least I can do some debugging now.

Fab