general questions

1. What are the structures that seem to minimize the code in this picture I saw? What are those arrows instead of simple wires?

active+suspensio+code.jpg

2. I want to use some code from examples I found inside a commercial product. How do I know if it is ok to use it freely without even having to turn my code into open source?

The code I want to use it:

https://decibel.ni.c.../docs/DOC-15014

https://decibel.ni.c...ator-in-labview

https://decibel.ni.c...t/docs/DOC-2401

https://decibel.ni.c...d-or-ipod-touch

other community examples

JKI's RCF free with no limitations?

3. How do I add functions to the function's pallet user library? For example, I want to add a vi I frequently use of a decorative while loop that I want to use. Is this the way to create a template or I should write a vit instead. I read a bit about mnu files yet I am still not sure how to use them. Is there a simpler way like marking something and drugging it into the function pallet?

4. I wanted to use the Quick Drop shortcut ctrl+shift+i in order to bundle many wires automatically yet it doesn't work as I expected. Is there another way to auto bundle wires maybe with JKI's rcf?

1. That looks like the simulation toolkit is in use.

3. If you go "Tools->Advanced->Edit Palette Set..." there is a palette editor. This is the easiest way to edit the palette in LabVIEW. There is an option to "Place VI Contents". Or the better way would be to use VI Package Manager to create a reuse library. The palette editor in it is second to none IMHO.

1. That looks like the simulation toolkit is in use.

3. If you go "Tools->Advanced->Edit Palette Set..." there is a palette editor. This is the easiest way to edit the palette in LabVIEW. There is an option to "Place VI Contents". Or the better way would be to use VI Package Manager to create a reuse library. The palette editor in it is second to none IMHO.

Thanks Crossrulz! It is indeed a toolkit and your directions for (3) went smoothly. Customizing pallets along scripting makes the coding faster and bug free since I can observe a coding style among my team and as a result have more time spent on design and reading LV blogs. Cool.

Now that 1 and 3 are solved how about questions 2 and 4?

Besides questions 2 and 4 I still have some questions regarding question 3:

Under the user.lib library in labview I simply added vis with the code I wanted to use from the palette or simply a vi I wanted to use.

I then went to Tools->Advanced->Edit Palette Settings and saved the changes.

All went great till now and I didn't have to use Vimp build palette.

However, I wonder, how can I add a vi from a class or a ctrl into the palette?

Should I add the entire project into the user.lib?

Moreover, I added the entire library of an xnode into the user.lib yet once I try to use it from the palette I the control file and the xnode file are missing.

Besides questions 2 and 4 I still have some questions regarding question 3:

Under the user.lib library in labview I simply added vis with the code I wanted to use from the palette or simply a vi I wanted to use.

I then went to Tools->Advanced->Edit Palette Settings and saved the changes.

All went great till now and I didn't have to use Vimp build palette.

However, I wonder, how can I add a vi from a class or a ctrl into the palette?

Should I add the entire project into the user.lib?

Moreover, I added the entire library of an xnode into the user.lib yet once I try to use it from the palette I the control file and the xnode file are missing.

Hi, Jubilee

You are free to add any VI or control of your choice to the palette, but project files will not work (even so I've never tried).

Using Tools -> Advanced -> Edit Palette Settings you'll get two palettes (function palette / control palette)

just right click on the particular palette and select AddVI(s) on the functional palette and AddControl(s) on the controls palette.

You can select class member VIs just like 'normal' VIs.

(Exception: public/protected VIs might not work from the palette)

I don't know how xnodes are working on the palette, but it should work either.

To your question 2:

Note: I'm not trained in license stuff, but have some basic knowledge. :lightbulb:

Using open source software funtionalities to create new software (even commercial) is no problem,

but the source code is protected by the license and copyright. Therefore, using the JKI

RCF is OK, but don't copy or use it's source code unless you have the right. You should read the license

of JKI RCF.

Software is protected by the programmers license. His or her license must be part of the source code or the entire project.

(Text on the FP or BD / file in the directory)

Is software protected which does not provide any license information? -> I don't know, seems to be free for use, if you

ask me... :unsure:

Of course there are different types of licenses:

BSD: This license allows you to freely use the code for even not open source software.

GPL: This license forces you to put your software on the same license as the source code and you have to provide your own code for free.

LGPL: This license allows you to use the open source software even for not open source software, unless you don't use the code

directly (as sub-VI), but as own library (DLL).

And much more...

Note: all samples above are much more complex than I could write.

You better read some articles from wikipedia or the particular license provider. You might also directly ask the programmer.

I recommand to only use free software for commercial use, if it is protected by BSD, which allows you to freely use it.

I also recommand to provide code which has been programmed using open source software. :shifty:

OK, much writing, less information...

:rolleyes:

To your question 4:

JKI RCF bundle wire plugin

Greetings, LogMAN

Edited by LogMAN

Thanks LogMAN.

I guess XNodes are a bit like projects or llbs since I keep getting an error trying to add one to the palette. Adding vi works just fine, however, it adds it's content monolitically and not like when I add a while loop which is resizable dynamically.

If I'll find a way to add an object from a project or a XNode into the palette I'll post back and let you know.

As for the license, I guess that means I can start using OpenG Builder (LGPL) as my app builder.

And last but not least, the JKI RCF Bundle Wire works just as I expected it to be. I love it :)

Now I'm going to study the vi tester and how to creat automatic tests, choose the proper design framework which is both testable and flexible and see if GOOP can help me with those tasks (and if it is free at all).

Thanks again for all the help LogMAN and crossrulz.