Remove Non-Printable Characters VI

Remove Non-Printable Characters  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

From the Trim Whitespace review we decided not to implement the remove non-printable characters feature from Fast Trim due to reasons of maintaining high cohesion etc... in the original VI.

However, from that review and other posts (e.g. here) this VI my be a nice addition to the String package.

Please vote or leave feedback if you would like to see such functionality in OpenG.

What are the use cases for removing non-printable characters? How do non-printable characters get into a string? Why would one want them removed? Is this common in string operations, or is it more focused to a specific problem/application domain?

The most recent use case I had was working with strings returned from C-based code (e.g., Windows API). There's another thread floating around where a guy was working with data that was NULL padded.

All told, I'd probably end up rewriting it by hand before looking for non-printable filter VI.