How to call user32.dll:GetWindowRect? (and why I need to)

Hello there,

I have a tricky problem I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with...

I have a vi which runs as a child window within another vi window which I created using the SetParentWindow() method in user32.dll. This works great. The result is as in the image below where the excel document exists as a child window within Excel:

post-13935-0-01723300-1318446447.png

I then use a property node to check the child panel bounds. This works fine normally. However, if I move the parent window (and hence the child window within it) then the child's panel bounds are not updated, which they should as they reflect global screen coordinates. If I move the child window just a smidgen then the child panel bounds are correctly updated to reflect the actual global position of the child.

(I'm happy the property node doesn't update in my scenario, it's just I need a solution)

I thought a way round this would be to get the size of the child window by using a windows api call instead. So, I'd like to use the the user32 GetWindowRect() method. However, I am not sure how to set up the main part of the call, namely the RECT structure pointer - I've done basic dll calls before but I've not passed in a pointer and I don't know how to create a structure of the right type. I have the window handle ready to pass in.

If anybody can help me set this up it would be fantastic. I will keep trying myself and post back if I figure it out as well.

Below is a screenshot of the setup:

post-13935-0-29408200-1318446311.png

Thank you,

Martin