Jump to content

Darin

Members
  • Content Count

    265
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    33

Darin last won the day on July 4 2015

Darin had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

157

About Darin

  • Rank
    Extremely Active

LabVIEW Information

  • Version
    LabVIEW 2009
  • Since
    1992

Recent Profile Visitors

3,173 profile views
  1. Holy blast from the past, but back in the day I did create a pure G implementation of a limited subset of ZMTP. Basically I implemented what I needed for REQ/REP and PUB/SUB peers over TCP and some other low-hanging fruit. A few MUSTs and several SHALLs in the RFC were ignored along the way to suit my needs (mostly self-educational). It was strictly version 2.0, no dealing with v1.0 peers (plus it is now at least v4.0). Looking back I will just say that I was not lazy, I was guarding against downgrade attacks.... These days I use 0MQ a lot, but mostly over inter-process connections which requires platform-specific bits so pure-G is out, and at that point I strongly suggest just wrapping libzmq (actually if pressed I would suggest wrapping it in all cases). I do not say this about very many libraries, but this one has been a pleasure to work with across several platforms with many different language bindings. In my use cases I have not run into any problems with my wrappers
  2. If all you are doing is querying a DB you may not notice that you are implicitly inside a transaction. To make changes that are available outside the current session you need to explicitly commit.
  3. As the parent of an autistic child I would be delighted if you could find a different pejorative to use in these situations. Thanks.
  4. My idea is dead in the water because it requires real effort on the part of NI. The good news for your idea is that it probably would make a nice addition to the right-click menu in LV15+
  5. LV15 seems to behave itself. At any rate I would think it is a feature to be able to probe there.
  6. Darin

    VI macros?

    I have managed to do a few cool things with these, and I have also managed to crash LV twice. YMMV
  7. The start case needs the same check to add 1 when the for loop ends without finding whitespace.
  8. Here is an interaction I have had on more than a few occasions: A: I have a random TCP problem Me: Sounds like a Nagle's Algorithm issue. A: I'll try that....Nope disabling Nagle did not help. Me: Sounds like a Nagle's Algorithm issue. A: I tried again, does not look like a problem with Nagle Me: That's odd. Let me know what you find out.... <Time passes> A: Turns out I screwed up, it was actually a Nagle's Algorithm issue. What I am saying is that this sounds like a textbook case of Nagle's algorithm. Until I was really, really sure, I would not look for something besides Nagle to explain the issue, I would look for the reason why it is not being disabled everywhere like you think it should be. One time I even started appending random garbage to the end of every message that was not of a given length.
  9. I'll take the "rube" that properly handles 'NaN' six days a week and twice on Sunday...
  10. Typically I would use a regex to validate a number, for a decimal number you could use ^[+-]?[0-9]+$ with Match Pattern to perform validation. In this case you could also verify that the remaining string is empty when you use Scan from String.
  11. I may or may not have an opinion about 'pipes' being appropriately used in this case, but that is beside the point. If the object is a "pipe with one element" than it is a pipe and that is what it should be called. In the documentation you can create an acronym or initialization or abbreviation, but that is what I think it should be instead of a new name. You define it the first time you use it (or perhaps the first time in each section if you want) and then use the shorthand version. For example, a single element queue is a queue, it does not need a new name. If you get tired of writing it then simply write a single element queue (SEQ) and carry on. A single element pipe (SEP) is one option. I'd rather describe it as a blocking pipe or non-blocking pipe, or as the choice whether or not to enable spooling or buffering on the pipe.
  12. I am running LV12 at the moment so I can not see your VI, but you described it well enough I think. I would suggest a keyed sort of your ItemNames. Use a loop to bundle the item name and its current index into a cluster array (in that order). Sort this cluster array. Create a single cluster consisting of the new name and its old index (the listbox value I presume) and search for this element inside the sorted cluster array. Use the index of the match as the new value of your listbox and update the item names with the sorted strings. For the size of arrays likely to occur in a typical listbox I would sort the strings separately instead of trying to unbundle in a loop.
  13. I prefer the windows shell function to the command line call myself, but Windows is easy either way. Linux is simple, once you know the default file browser (Nautilus, Dolphin, ....). This is easily found by querying xdg-mime. Then it is a simple system exec call to launch the file browser. Mac requires Applescript. Simply use system exec and the osascript command to tell Finder to select the file. In LV14 you may even be able to skip system exec and use the call Applescript function.
  14. From squinting on my iPhone I can tell that your constant '2' should be sqrt(2). Looks good otherwise.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.