The idea of throughput and handshaking

AlexA

Hi again guys,

I've had my FPGA code running for a while now, but I'm hesitant to trust it, because I don't really understand the concept of handshaking and throughput. Say I have the following block of code:

gallery_16778_60_4438.png

My question is, if the multiply takes 1 cycle/sample to compute (and this goes for all blocks that say they take 1 cycle/sample), does it return its result on the exact same cycle that it receives a valid point (I.e. when divides "ready for input" goes true and a deviated bin element is dequeued from the FIFO).

OR

Does it take another cycle and thus, I should always load the result of multiply (and any other high throughput maths) into a shift register to be absorbed by divide on the following loop iteration?

Thanks for your help.

Alex

Edited by AlexA

Hi Alex,

With the multiply I think you should be OK. As you said it returns within one cycle and this means it will return its output in the same cycle when it is called in the single cycle timed loop. I wouldn't go as far as to say all as there may be other elements which can't return in one cycle (e.g. is there reciprocal in high throughput? EDIT: I guess not as this is what you are doing!). I think the overhead is minimal if you enable the handshaking when available.

The one problem with the code above is what happens if the output FIFO is full? To truely complete the four wire handshaking on the divide you should handle the time out case there which involves latching the divide output until you know it has been succesfully read, I think there is an example of this in the FFT shipping example.

Cheers,

James

...or to avoid latching I think you could do it just with checking the queue status has a space (available elements to right). If this is greater than 0 then set ready for output on the divide.

• Like 1