writing data to MS Access

Dniz

Hi, I hav just started to learn ActiveX to write data into my database developed using MS Access. I need to update my database everytime I execute my VI. FYI, I am using LabVIEW 6.0. I have found an example of how to read from a database but have no idea how to choose the method and property. Have anybody have any VI or any good material to read on about ActiveX property other than the brief intro doc available in NI website? Your help will be very much appreciated.

Why do difficult if it can be very simple?

You can use a databasetoolkit for example

There is a company in the netherlands called T&M-Solutions who build a own toolkit and databasewizard. This toolkit makes it posible to work easily with Labview and Databases with a small knowledge of databases. It uses the express-technology to easily work with

databases. You can select (in the express-screen) which columns you want

to read/write to your database. This columns can you wire easily to the VI

as a cluster/ array of clusters (not as a variant), so you don't have

irritating casting stuff in your code.

please, take a look at the website T&M Solutions Database toolkit for LabVIEW.

maximus,

My project is a small scale project. I think purchasing the database toolkit will be too costive. That's why i am considering using activeX which i am not familiar with.

rkanders,

FYI, the toolkit you recommended is developed for LV7. It cannot be used in my version (6.0) of LV. However, I've tried to open it in the LV7 Express Eveluation software that will expire after 30 days of use and thus I try to reconstruct those VIs in LV 6.0. There is this element that I tried to add into the property node, as attched, I don't know how to get it done. Could you give me a hand in this? Thanks.

post-817-1101884396.jpg?width=400

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I hav just started to learn ActiveX to write data into my database developed using MS Access. I need to update my database everytime I execute my VI. FYI, I am using LabVIEW 6.0. I have found an example of how to read from a database but have no idea how to choose the method and property. Have anybody have any VI or any good material to read on about ActiveX property other than the brief intro doc available in NI website? Your help will be very much appreciated.

2779[/snapback]

The Microsoft documentation about ADO is actually pretty good.

It's geared towards Visual Basic, so you'll have to "translate" it into LabVIEW.

I wrote to a MS Access database using LV 5.1 at my previous employer.

I also found the book Active Data Objects for Dummies very help.

There is a free, open source LabVIEW toolkit for doing exactly what you want. It is called LabSQL and is ADO based. This was actually one of the first open source LabVIEW projects and the L.O.S.T. was/is a precursor to the OpenG project.

Go to: http://www.jeffreytravis.com/lost/download/

and download the LabSQL Toolkit. You will get the complete source code, it is free and it works well.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendations :D Form all the alternatives, the SQL toolkit seems to be the easier to modify to my need as I can customize the SQL statements according my my needs. Highly recommended for all other newbies in developing database applications using labview.