Subpanel Resize Event

hooovahh

Okay I swear I saw this somewhere but I can't seem to get it to work.  If I have a subpanel and I load a VI into it, then run the VI and resize the subpanel (causing the VI in it to resize) why does my "Panel Resize" event not fire in that VI?

Attached is a quick test.  Run Child and see the "NewBnds" value change as you resize.  Now run Parent and resize.  Notice that "NewBnds" does not change.

Crosspost

SubPanel Resize Test.zip

I usually stick with the Pane Size events, I believe that those will fire as expected in the subPanel.

Okay so the Pane Size event does fire, but as shown in my example, the Panel Resize does not.

Edit:  Thanks for the cross post.

Edited by hooovahh
I usually stick with the Pane Size events, I believe that those will fire as expected in the subPanel.

Great tip! Hearty +1! In the past, I've brokered resize events from the parent into the children using the application's interprocess messaging -- using Pane resize events will simplify this :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed about a year ago that there are several properties, methods, and events that only work with single-pane VIs. Pretty much everything called "Panel" changes (or breaks) its behavior when you add a splitter or subpanel to the FP. In those situations, as others have recommended, use the "Pane" events when possible, and beware coordinate system conversions between "Panel" and "Pane" properties.