Minor quibble: I think the "File Exists" primitive should return FALSE on empty path input.

Perhaps my definition of "exists" is subtly different than the typical OpenG developer/user, but I had the expectation that an empty path input would return false.

I find that in most situations where I want to check if a path exists, I'm about to perform a file operation that also requires that path to be non-empty.

I don't think I'd ever use the "File Exists" primitive without also calling the "Empty Path/String?" primitive.

Edited by Mike Le
Perhaps my definition of "exists" is subtly different than the typical OpenG developer/user, but I had the expectation that an empty path input would return false.

I find that in most situations where I want to check if a path exists, I'm about to perform a file operation that also requires that path to be non-empty.

I don't think I'd ever use the "File Exists" primitive without also calling the "Empty Path/String?" primitive.

Empty path is actually not empty on Linux, it's "/" or the root directory.  On Windows and Mac, if you list the contents of empty path, it lists all the drives on the computer.  So, this isn't really an OpenG definition, as much as it is a LabVIEW definition.

I hope that helps.

I had a similar complaint (without knowing the platform issues) so I have made a small VI that is called "Is Path Valid and Exists?" which uses the two OpenG VIs "File Exists" and "Valid Path".  I never just use the "Valid Path" anymore.  You could do something similar where it needs to be "Valid Path", and Not "Empty String/Path"

Thanks for the background info, Jim.

I had a similar complaint (without knowing the platform issues) so I have made a small VI that is called "Is Path Valid and Exists?" which uses the two OpenG VIs "File Exists" and "Valid Path".  I never just use the "Valid Path" anymore.  You could do something similar where it needs to be "Valid Path", and Not "Empty String/Path"

Yes, this is exactly what I'll be doing. Thanks.