Scaling a sub panel while resizing

After a day of playing with the XTab control, I can say that is looks promising but is too buggy for real world use at this point.  I hope the author continues to improve it.  In the meantime, I would recommend you look elsewhere for a tab solution.

I was going to say something along the same lines.  I like what they have put together but I don't think I can bring myself to use it in an application at the moment.  I would also much appreciate an open version licensed under BSD or something, and having no passworded diagrams.

Stay tuned -- perhaps some of these concerns are addressed in unreleased versions and a nudge is all it takes....  :)

Hello every one,

To avoid too much thread jacking, I've reply to John on our community page --> https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-21668#comment-28558

I was going to say something along the same lines.  I like what they have put together but I don't think I can bring myself to use it in an application at the moment.  I would also much appreciate an open version licensed under BSD or something, and having no passworded diagrams.

Hope that the new version should bring you most than the current one. Feel free to ask me for beta.

Concerning access to diagram is not that simple because this toolkit is developed by a company not by one person on his spare time. I'm not saying that the code won't be accessible in the future, but in a short term, it's not planned to be done. Note that this choice is not only relying on me. 

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread to ask about a potential LabVIEW bug.

When you have several panes on your VI that are set to scale while resizing, they will all happily shrink down to the point where controls inside them become obscured (hidden) due to the pane being too small.  So far, my only way to avoid this is to set a minimum window size that prevents the window from getting too small for this to happen.  Unfortunately I have come across a situation where I do not have control of this setting for a specific VI and therefor have to deal with the effect.

The 'bug' I am concerned with is the fact that the shrunken panes do not enlarge as the VI grows again.  So, once you have compressed them, they stay compressed permanently.  It seems to me that they should return to their original size as space allows so the controls inside can again be accessed.

Does anyone know a 'trick' to work around this?

thanks,

-John

There is a "Minimum Panel Size" on the VI that is in the sub panel, but there is also "Minimum Pane Size" on the panel that the sub panel is in.  This way you can prevent the window from being too small, by keeping the panel from being too small.

You will want to do some testing however.  I remember a time where I would set the Minimum Pane Size so my right pane wouldn't get too small, as I made the window smaller I hit the limit of the right pane, but not the left so the left pane stated to get smaller which was the pane I wanted to not change size.  Just experiment a while and all these Minimum controls will keep it from getting too small.  

Edited by hooovahh