How to prepare yourself to pass the CLA exam

Hi guys,
I'd like to prepare myself to get the CLA but the materials and the documents to get a good preparation to pass the exam are very poor. Could anyone give me some advice, examples, documentation or any kind of stuff that can help me on studying to get success on the exam?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Antoine,

Thank you very much for your reply. Even though I'm reading the documentation that you suggested reading, I still think that those documents are not enough to get a good preparation to prepare yourself for the CLA. It's a pity that the NI doesn't release more documents to help us on preparing the exam.

Well I think people are a bit shy to talk about the CLA openly on forums because of the NDA NI makes you sign when you take the exam.

As for NI, well you can see their point... they don't want to give away the CLA too easily.

Good luck anyway with you preparation.

I know that NI don't want to give the CLA too easily but anyway, they have to give the possibility to pass that exam to everyone want to improve theirs certification. Moreover,  they have to give the materials to help people to prepare himself to be able to pass it.

I think, nobody can pass an exam without books or materials where he can study which  teach him how to pass the exam.

Never mind, I will try anyway to pass the exam and I hope I will write here about my success.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By DigDoug
      CLA_ATM_QMH_PRACTICE.zipHi Folks,

I'm taking the CLA exam in a few weeks and would like some feedback on the solution I put together (attached). A few specific questions:
      Can I dump tags in the VI Documentation of the VI like I did in Error Handler - Console Error.vi and get credit since there are instructions for developers to complete this work? This would be my strategy if I run out of time. 
      Does this seem like a passing solution? Why/why not?
      Where do you think I would lose the most points in this solution?
      Any other feedback on this exam or general strategy tips are greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
      Aaron
    • By Gab
      Hello everyone,
      I am planning to give CLD exam but my question is: is this certification make any significase difference ?
      If yes, then where can I find proper guidance for preparation of this exam.
      Thanks.
    • By SIGMADESIGN_US
      LabVIEW Software Developer

SIGMADESIGN is a fun, fast-paced engineering consulting company currently experiencing explosive growth.  We are looking for a LabVIEW Software Developer. Curiosity, competency and confidence are a must. We offer competitive compensation (DOE), Medical, Dental, and Short Term Disability insurance, a retirement plan, and profit sharing. We also offer Voluntary Benefits: Vision, Long Term Disability, and Term Life insurance.

Primary Function:

Definition and programming of LabVIEW based software. Duties include: designing, developing, installation, and debug of custom LabVIEW based applications for a variety of monitoring, measurement, and control systems.    Systems will incorporate a variety of technologies (DAQ, machine vision, motion, FPGA & real-time control, etc.) with application across a broad range of industries.

Essential Job Functions - Responsibilities:

·         Develop and maintain LabVIEW applications for control and data acquisition across a wide range of test and measurement systems.

·         Interpret and understand control specification documents, P&ID drawings, wiring diagrams, and schematics.

·         Utilize National Instruments data acquisition hardware, off-the-shelf test equipment, and custom developed hardware.

·         Troubleshoot software and electrical control issues and define and/or implement solutions.

·         Support, improve and modify existing LabVIEW applications as necessary.

·         Create and maintain documentation, version control history, and bug tracking for LabVIEW applications in coordination with engineering and technician teams.

Required Education, Skills, and Experience: (Knowledge, skills, & abilities)

·         CLD (Certified LabVIEW Developer) certification or above is required.

·         5+ years LabVIEW application development experience with demonstrated proficiency.

·         Experience with NI DAQmx, NI VISA drivers, and supported protocols (GPIB, RS232/RS485, TCP/IP).

·         Experience with at least one version control system and an issue tracking system.

·         Attention to detail in design, programming, debug, and documentation work.

·         Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.

·         Ability to plan work and accomplish objectives with minimum of direction.

·         Strong written and verbal English language communication skills.

Additional Desirable Skills, Education, and Experience:

·         CLA (Certified LabVIEW Architect) certification highly desirable.

·         Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a related field highly desirable.

·         LabVIEW Real-time and FPGA Programming experience.

·         LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming experience.

·         Experience with developing Motion and Vision applications.

·         Experience with CAN and Modbus network protocols.

·         Familiar with basic relational database concepts.

·         Linux OS administration and shell scripting experience.

·         Experience with Matlab and Simulink.

·         Additional software skills (C/C++, PHP, Python, etc.).

·         LabVIEW for calling external code (dll, COM objects, ActiveX, .NET, etc.)

·         Translation of source code from various languages (VB, C, C++, C#, Python) into LabVIEW code.

·         Calling VIs dynamically.

·         Experience with LabVIEW version 2012 or newer.

·         Pass a post-offer background check verification.

·         Complete Pre-Employment Assessment required: Begin Assessment

In addition to submitting your application, please complete the Pre-Employment Assessment to be considered for this position.

Work Environment:

Standard office environment with normal amounts of office related conditions. Occasionally may be required to work in environmental conditions that emulate typical user environments in order to facilitate design testing and validation. 

Sigma Design - Corporate Fact Sheet.pdf
    • By Vinicio Lupo
      Hi All,
        I am going to do the exam of re-certification of CLD. I found just one exam sample on NI website. there is someone who have material that can help to study for exam? Other Sample or specific topic to study for covering all exam possible questions?
      Any kind of help will be very appreciated.
      Thank you in advance
      Vinicio 
    • By proximal
      Hi, I'm a Certified LabVIEW Architect seeking new contract work. I am based in the Austin, Texas area, and can travel within the US or overseas if needed. As a former NI employee, I have extensive experience creating large LabVIEW applications for test and measurement systems. Areas of expertise include LabVIEW, LabVIEW RT and FPGA, NI Vision, C, C++, C#, PXI, cDAQ, cRIO, sbRIO, GPIB, and more.  Please email me at nathan@proximalcorp.com for more information. Thank you!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.