DAQmx channels and tasks managment

Hello,

Soon I will start my first project that finally includes some daq cards.

I have some questions how to manage tasks in project.

- I can create and manage tasks using MAX but it will require to install max on customer PC and that most likely will be a problem.

- I can add tasks and channels to my project New -> DAQmx Channel/Task/Scale. It seems reasonable but where task parameters are stored? They can be edited after I compile exe? 

Do You know better approaches ?

It would be good if  channel parameters are stored in some csv fil,e so I can modify it without compilation.

What about channel callibration? It would be nice if calibration data were also stored in some file. 

I think some gui for calibration is also worth having inside exe (something like attached example from ni)

What are Your experiences / good practices? 

Thanks in advice :)

7_1_channel_calibration.llb

• Like 1

- I can create and manage tasks using MAX but it will require to install max on customer PC and that most likely will be a problem.

Then using a DAQ card is going to be a problem.  If you install DAQmx you're going to be required to install MAX.  Then you can import your MAX NCE and use the tasks and channels in MAX, or use DAQmx VIs to programatically make your tasks at run time.  Oh or the third option I don't usually do is you can have the tasks be in the project which then get deployed to the EXE when it is built.

If you are really insisting on using LabVIEW 7.1, which is something like 11 years old then I'm unsure how much of what I said is going to be true for you.

• 1 year later...

Very interesting subject!

I am pretty much in the same situation and I am curious to know what solution did you opt for in the end.

I am using DAQmx VIs in a state machine dedicated to the acquisistion of the measurement signals. The first state of the SM is the initialization of the task. I stored all the configuration inforamtion in an array of clusters. Each cluster contains the information to configure a single channel (like channel name, device specific physical channel, min and max values, scale coefficents...) and some extra information like calibration points and date of calibration. This array of cluster can be edited in a specific VI and then it's stored in a config file read at the start of the initialization of the application.

How does it sound like to you?