Conrol of wires

Among other capabilites, I'm looking to move / distribute a selection of wires.

NO :nono: , I do not want to use the "clean up wire" method.

I'll do the processing of what new positions they need to go to, but I can't find a function that will successfully move a wire/section of wire.

Any direction? :question:

Among other capabilites, I'm looking to move / distribute a selection of wires.

Any direction? :question:

4436[/snapback]

Norm,

So, you've got an array of wire refnums, is that correct? And you want to script a way to move them around without changing the actual wiring? I hope I've got the task correct. If so...

A wire refnum has properties for the Terminals[] which it connects. There's always one source and one or more sinks. ( I think I saw somewhere that the source is always the zeroeth element, but I'm not sure.) A wire also has a read-only property, Joints[], which describes an array of clusters of segments and branches. The problem here is that the wire's Joints[] property is read-only.

BUT, if you get references to the Terminals[], and figure out source and sink(s), there's a method on a Terminal refnum for 'Create Described Wire'. I think you can invoke that with your computed array of junctions and segments (how you do all this sounds like quite a chore, good luck :blink: ), and LV should replace the existing wire with the described wire (since redundant wire paths were rendered impossible to produce starting around, I think, LV 6).

Is this what you want to do, or did I miss the point?

Best,

Dave

Norm,

As a follow-up - I played around with this a bit and though my brain is too tired :wacko: to figure out the LV coordinate system at this late hour, I did learn two things:

• Create Described Wire does not replace the existing wire, I had to invoke Delete on the wire refnum (obtain its terminals first!)
  • it's very easy to create lots of broken wire segments trailing off from your 'good wire' if you don't have a Cartesian clue
  • I can't count

Best,

Dave

Well I'll be brief at this late hour myself.

I was trying to do something very specific so flexibility didn't get in the way of the first few learning steps.

I have a BD in which I had 14 segments of wires selected.

Got the Selection[] and casted those ref's to wires like their class name suggests.

From there I wanted to kabitz w/ their positions to do a control like distribution.

Maybe I just need to dig up the business cards from the LV R&D guys that I got at NI week last year to get the "unofficial" skinny on this

• 3 months later...
As a follow-up - I played around with this a bit and though my brain is too tired  :wacko: to figure out the LV coordinate system at this late hour...

The attached VI contains these VIs from the XNode llb which could be helpful figuring out the coordinate system:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\vi.lib\Utility\XNodeSupport.llb\XRect16To32.vi

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\vi.lib\Utility\XNodeSupport.llb\XRect32To16.vi

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\vi.lib\Utility\XNodeSupport.llb\XPoint32To16.vi

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\vi.lib\Utility\XNodeSupport.llb\XPoint16To32.vi

Download File:post-987-1123171014.vi

Brian

• 1 year later...

Has anybody managed to access a wire branch instead the whole wire?

I have a wire that connects one source and several sinks, and I want to delete just one segment, leaving the rest intact. But I can't see how, all methods and properties refer to the whole wire, though this can easily be done manually.

post-1450-1155725912.gif?width=400

I could delete the wire and re-connect the source to the remaining terminals, but dinamically created wires are not really clean and it could lead to new problems :wacko: .

Saludos,

Aitor