Distributed Hash Tables (DHT)

Out of curiosity what are you using this for?

I've recently been looking at zookeeper/etcd/consul which aren't hash tables but just distributed key-value stores used for service discovery and 'global' configuration. I need a way to locate which one of many distributed devices is producing which data, and I thought one of those might be a good fit for the job. In this case, both libraries have a http interface so the 'interface with lv' part is easy. But I am curious how your dht use case compares with this service discovery use case.

Edited by smithd
1 hour ago, smithd said:

Out of curiosity what are you using this for?

I've recently been looking at zookeeper/etcd/consul which aren't hash tables but just distributed key-value stores used for service discovery and 'global' configuration. I need a way to locate which one of many distributed devices is producing which data, and I thought one of those might be a good fit for the job. In this case, both libraries have a http interface so the 'interface with lv' part is easy. But I am curious how your dht use case compares with this service discovery use case.

I have several use cases in mind with the usual software distribution and distributed databases/file systems. A few others too that are closer to what you are describing but they are more a case it could be used but there are probably better ways-I would know more later.

Service discovery is a means to an end for DHTs if you consider supplying a key-value pair a service. The difference between Kademlia and Chord is basically how they search and contact providers of specific key-value data with an expectation that someone will but without caring who. If one of each service is expected in a system then I'm not sure what would be gained and there would certainly be much faster ways but if you wanted to spread configuration data amongst all services for fail-over (effectively a distributed database) then maybe. Off the top of my head. You could probably use the routing table from a DHT in some way but it's a big "depends".