How to fetch a reference to the current window?

mefix

Hey LV-fellows =)

I am working on some kind of daemon that allows me to stop/start/restart VIs.

Can anyone tell me how i can get a reference to the currently active (frontmost) window?

Tried to use the call-chain, which didn't work proberly.

Another question is how to set a window "always-on-top"? Does "Floating" mean "always-on-top" ... "modal" disables me from using other VIs in background... ?

--> LV7.1 PDS

perhaps someone can help me in the above mentioned topics.

greetz

mefix

There is a Vi in the OpenG palette

Get Frontmost VI.vi - Gets the name of the fronmost VI

btw thanks to Jim Kring for the VI. ;)

You do not have the openg library,

download the OpenGCommander openg.org and install the application control package.

For your second question

Lets have a look to the labview help Index window, appearance options. :clock:

Window Behavior

Another question is how to set a window "always-on-top"?

5212[/snapback]

You need to use special calls to set a window always-on-top or not-always-on-top. There's a package with windows manipulation functions already put into LabVIEW wrapper VI's that calls LVWUTIL32.DLL (which you can search for). Here's the link I found even though I'm not sure it's the most recent--maybe someone knows where a more recent link is.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch...6256c3f006ee656

You need to use special calls to set a window always-on-top or not-always-on-top.  There's a package with windows manipulation functions already put into LabVIEW wrapper VI's that calls LVWUTIL32.DLL (which you can search for).  Here's the link I found even though I'm not sure it's the most recent--maybe someone knows where a more recent link is.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch...6256c3f006ee656

5215[/snapback]

This really depends on the version of LabVIEW you have. LabVIEW 7.0 and higher has a property FP.Behaviour which allows setting this at your whim directly. Earlier LabVIEW versions do need the Windows library, unless you have LabVIEW 6.1 and play with the ini file in ways as described in the scripting section.

Rolf Kalbermatter