Executing .rtexe from CLI... is it possible?

Sam Dexter

Hi guys,

A newbie question - say, I have a compactRIO running Linux Real-Time system and it runs my .rtexe set as startup

at the boot. I wonder if there is a way to execute this .rtexe arbitrarily from CLI or by any other means, so you can

actually have a few .rtexe on the system and pick and choose which ones to run at will?

The .rtexe is actually not an executable file. Rather, it is a "bundle" that contains your compiled VIs.

The real executable is /usr/local/natinst/labview/lvrt -- This executable loads your .rtexe bundle and runs the top-level VI(s) from the bundle. The lvrt program checks a config file -- /etc/natinst/share/lvrt.conf -- to find out which .rtexe it should load.

So, in theory, you could edit this file and then shut down the VIs that are currently running. This causes lvrt to re-launch, and it will read your updated config file and load your new .rtexe.

Notes:

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 3/11/2021 at 1:21 PM, Sam Dexter said:

Hi guys,

A newbie question - say, I have a compactRIO running Linux Real-Time system and it runs my .rtexe set as startup

at the boot. I wonder if there is a way to execute this .rtexe arbitrarily from CLI or by any other means, so you can

actually have a few .rtexe on the system and pick and choose which ones to run at will?

Hi Sam, 

After the startup.rtexe is deployed into your cRIO, and reboot it, with the Run As Startup option selected from the LabVIEW Project Explorer, you can use these commands from the terminal:

/etc/init.d/nilvrt stop ==> to stop the RT App.

/etc/init.d/nilvrt start ==> to run the RT App. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1