How to make PCI-6534 read a voltage of 200mV

ayumisano

Dear all,

Is it possible to make PCI-6534 to read the input which is around 200mV? I read the datasheet which is available on ni.com and it says that PCI-6534 is 5V TTL. Does it mean that there is no way for it to trigger a reading as long as the voltage is smaller than 5V?

Thank you very much for your attention!!

Ayumi

Dear all,

Is it possible to make PCI-6534 to read the input which is around 200mV? I read the datasheet which is available on ni.com and it says that PCI-6534 is 5V TTL. Does it mean that there is no way for it to trigger a reading as long as the voltage is smaller than 5V?

Ayumi

5745[/snapback]

Well since the TTL specification says that a '0' is anything < 0.5V and a '1' is anything > 2.5V, the most straightforward answer is no, you can't trigger a 5V TTL signal with only 200mV.

There is most likely a workaround however. Does the 200mV incoming signal meet some kind of spec? What about using a standard RS422/485->RS232 converter? Those use a voltage differential to determine a '0' or '1' where everything between -200mV to 200mV is no man's land, but maybe you could rig a workaround.

If you have the abililty to use other hardware it probably won't be a problem to find a workaround, but by itself, I don't think you'll be able to tirgger the PCI-6534 directly.

Dear all,

Ayumi

5745[/snapback]

You could continuously read the input and discard data that doesn't fall within your criteria (200mV or whatever).

Neville.