Digital Waveform Graph with overlays and/or symbolic labeling?

bobenose

Curious if there's a trick I'm missing (and I don't think 'annotations' is it) that would allow a simple plot such as

image.png.992f3df94e7e3706fa3e199708a1df08.png

To be shown with text (think 'enum') instead of the value of the bus.  

Typical use would be, such as in a logic analyzer, where a symbol table is used to represent the name of a state in a state machine

Another use might be to show decoded data (example below from Andrew D. Zonenberg's glscopeclient manual )

image.png.54a2214dee22f2170a93d98cc60f992a.png

My use case needs the Mixed Signal Graph and will involve cursor use, and lots of zooming in/out to review large sets of data quickly, spanning digital (binary, state, etc) and analog signals.

Having a  Mixed Signal Graph that can show text, instead of JUST 0, 1, L, H, etc  would be EXTREMELY useful and elegant.  Running in 2022 Q3 at the moment, I am unaware of this feature in any version from LV 4 (yes, I'm an old timer) through to 2022-Q3 (hence not holding my breath for 2023Q1 to address this)

Sure, with a bunch of work, I could recreate the Mixed Signal Graph with a picture control and get the effect I'm after -- but LV's supposed to be making things easier and faster - if I have to go to that level of effort, another language may win out

A graph that can take an enum and show the String of the enum (rather than the value) in the GRAPH (not on the axis) would be phenomenal

Thoughts appreciated.

You coud use PloImages (property of a graph) for that and use picture functions to render and position the labels. There are three layers: back, middle, front. One problem though (which seems more like a bug then a feature) is that cursors are in front of the front layer, thus the labels. I don't know if it's a problem in your use case.

I use plotimages quite a lot recently, they are good for having color background sections/stripes (which are behing the grid) and for filling graph areas that would not be possible with plot fill. It involves a lot of "map XY to coordinates" but with some optimisations (for example scaling the values to pixels "manually" without "map XY to coordinates", and only calculate the scaling factor and offset with "map XY to coordinates" when the scales or plot area changes).

Edited by Lipko